𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 1: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓡𝓮𝓾𝓷𝓲𝓸𝓷

"Harry, wait up!" Evangeline Laskos called after Harry Potter as she tripped trying to keep up with his brisk pace.

The two had arrived at the apparition point at the front of Malfoy Manor and began the long walk towards the towering estate. The gate was open, smooth white tiles lined the path beckoning them forward. The dark green grass had been trimmed perfectly, with large hedges lining the trail in varying shapes and sizes. Evangeline paused and admired the bushes that were shaped to look like dragons before quickening her stride to match Harry's once again.

The trail widened as it reached the Manor, reflecting shimmers of white light against the black exterior walls. A multitude of windows lined the stone exterior, giving the effect that the home stretched farther and taller than expected.

"Keep up, Eva! We're going to be late." Harry called out to the girl who was still trailing behind him. He seemed slightly amused by the look of awe on her face as she marveled at the property.

Evangeline had always heard about how marvelous the grounds at Malfoy Manor were, but seeing it in person was something else entirely. There was something haunting about the Manor but in the diminishing sunlight, she thought otherwise.

"I shouldn't be here." Evangeline admitted self-consciously, "I didn't even graduate in your year. I wasn't invited." She peeled her gaze away from the nearby stone fountain to finally catch up to the male.

"Relax, Eva. Luna is going to be here too, and she was in your year. I talked to her earlier today to confirm. Nowhere on the invitation did it say that you couldn't come. In fact, the invitation implied that we could bring whoever we wanted as our plus one, and I wanted to bring my friend." Harry's eyes twinkled, "Besides, I thought you might enjoy sitting across from Malfoy for an entire evening."

Eva wrinkled her nose, turning her head the other way to cover her embarrassment. "You're one to talk." She scoffed, "How many years have you spent still pining after Ginny Weasley?"

"Hey! At least I can say that I actually dated her once." Harry hummed in acknowledgement, "Tell me. Does Malfoy even know your name?"

"I'll have you know that he does." Eva inhaled the unusually cold summer air into her lungs, shivering at its chilling touch, "He and I work together in the Obliviation Department... er-- technically, I work for him. But it still counts!"

Harry raised an eyebrow in curiosity, brushing off a stray piece of hair from her shoulder. "When did Malfoy get transferred? Wasn't he set to become an Auror? I could have sworn I saw his paperwork cross the desk at some point."

Eva sighed, crossing her arms and frowning slightly at the man. She couldn't believe that Harry was still as scatterbrained as he was in school. It was a miracle that he even kept his head on during work. "Don't you remember the protest when it was announced that Draco would become an Auror? Your co-workers were very vocal about not wanting to work with a Death Eater."

"Ex-Death Eater." Harry reminded her. "It's honestly exhausting that they still hold that over his head. He's done his time so it's only fair for him to be accepted." He didn't quite care for the lingering prejudices against certain witches and wizards. However it bothered him more that everyone seemed to still hold a grudge against the Malfoy's.

If the Chosen One was able to put aside his differences with his former grade school enemy, then surely others could as well. At least, she wished they could. The Wizarding World had remained uneasy with the reduced sentence that Draco Malfoy had served for his crimes during the war. A fine and some measly community service hours were all that he was required to pay.

"Well I can say that everyone in the Obliviation department loves him. His talent in Occlumency and Legilimency makes our jobs a lot easier. I don't have as much overtime anymore." Eva joked, smiling slightly to herself.