Preludio

(Reminder: This story contains massive spoilers from 'Professor Layton and the Lost Future')

***

Flora was so, so mad that they had left her behind on her own. Again.

She said angrily, "I can't believe them!", and "How rude!", and "I'd even made them those nice cucumber sandwiches!", and "I don't want to be alone!".

You thought you would never hear the end of it.

"Let's tail them!", she told you.

"What? You're pulling my leg!", you replied in disbelief.

"I'm certainly not! Let's go together, (Name)! Aren't you and I best friends? Surely I can count on you, at least!

"Flora! What are you saying? We can't do that! Moreover, I only came to turn my assignment in and go study in the library today..."

"So what am I supposed to do?! Just sit here like a lemon and wait?! I beg you, (Name)! Come with me!"

You sighed in defeat. You reckoned there would be absolutely no way to change her mind, even though you were positive that Professor Layton and Luke most probably had a legitimate reason to break their word... Hence why you wore the most apologetic expression on your face when you two crashed into the Clock Shop.

"F-Flora! (Name)!", Luke blurted in shock.

You saw Professor Layton, Luke, Inspector Chelmey and Constable Barton standing in the middle of the room, in front of a giant clock.

What is this place? You wondered.

And also

Where are we going?

"But there are several people who have nothing to do with the matter at hand.", protested the professor.

"Well... the more, the merrier, that's what they say, isn't it?", replied Cogg, hurriedly gathering all of you by the time machine before activating it.

"That's ridiculous. I beg you to reconsider!", he persisted, but to no avail.

Maybe you should have.

"It's going to be a bumpy ride...", warned Luke, looking at you worriedly.

Then, you felt Flora's hand quickly grasping yours.

And everything changed.

Stirred emotions.

Dizziness.

Worries.

Fear.

And

To the Future.

Exploring the streets of a London you no longer know.

Hearing all about the dreadful situation you are in, ten years from now.

Meeting with 'Future Luke' at the Park Observatory.

Yes. The very same Luke who is now walking by your side. Your little friend, but ten years older, which means you are now about the same age.

You wonder what will be your and his reaction after seeing each other for the first time... in ten years?

"I can't believe I'm meeting Luke from the future !", Flora exclaims with glee, gaping at him.

"Eh? Oh, Flora! It's you! I didn't recognise you for a moment there... You'll have to forgive me. This is all a bit unexpected.", he apologises with a faint smile.

When your eyes meet, you notice his face softening instantly, with a gentle smile gracefully lighting it up the longer he stares at you.

"(Name).", he calls without hesitation.

He comes forward and hugs you out of the blue, while the others watch you in amazement. Little Luke's hair stands on end witnessing this sudden display of affection.

"L-Luke?", you stammer his name out.

"(Name), it's been so long! I've missed you a lot... It's so good to see you. You look well."

He lets go of you, but his hands still remain on your shoulders.

"W-why do you remember me so well?"

He chuckles.

"Well... one might it find rather difficult to forget their first love!", he confesses with a bashful smile.

You feel your cheeks getting warm.

"H-how dare you!", Little Luke cries out, his face flushed with shame and anger. "That! That was uncalled-for!

"How do you mean?", asks Big Luke, surprised by his reaction.

"Surely you jest! A-and don't you... don't you... what you just did was so ungentlemanly! I know you... we may have not seen each other for a decade, but it doesn't mean you have to... to touch (Name) like that!", he growls possessively, making the other Luke titter with embarrassment.

"Oh, aren't you the one being a little touchy?", he retorts. "What's the matter? I am you, and you are me. So, technically, you're hugging (Name) too."

Little Luke seems to be struggling really hard to contain himself.

"It's nice to know that some things never change. I see you're still easily flustered. Hee hee!", giggles Flora.

"You're the one to talk, Flora! As I recall, you go bright pink at the drop of a hat!"

"(Name) and Flora's presence here is one of the unexpected turns I mentioned... Inspector Chelmey and Barton are here as well.", speaks the professor, seemingly undisturbed by what has happened, yet attentive.

Future Luke moves away from you to discuss how they are going to get into Chinatown to stop Layton's evil future self. Professor Layton and Future Luke agree to look for Bostro in the vicinity of the casino.

While Flora looks thrilled by the adventure awaiting, Little Luke, on the other hand, is pouting.

You are unsure of how you are currently feeling. Or perhaps, how you should be feeling at all.

However, you do feel that something has changed.

Something big is about to happen.

Once set, you all exit the edifice.

"(Name)!", Future Luke calls. "Stay close to me, okay? I know the city like the back of my hand. I'll protect you.

"You mean, we'll protect (Name), right?!", interrupts Little Luke.

"I... think I can manage very well on my own.", you respond as calmly as possible.

Future Luke discreetly glances at you, sensing your discomfort.

You need more time to process all of it.

Everything has changed.

He knows it.

He is winning.

He smirks.

He is going to have sooo much fun.