Teneramente

(Reminder: This story contains massive spoilers from 'Professor Layton and the Lost Future')

***

My Dearest (Name),

I hope this letter finds you well.

Thank you very much for your last message that I have read with sheer interest. But now, I find myself replying to you with a heavy heart.

I am deeply saddened by the turn of events you have described to me in great details, and I can't even fathom how forlorn Professor Layton must feel after being exposed to such cruel truth.

This is definitely a heartwrenching tale, far beyond our imagination. I would very much appreciate if you could please pass on to him my most heartfelt sympathy.

By the way, what do you think of this quote thereafter?

'Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.'

To me, I find Mark Twain's words quite powerful, yet unsettling at the same time.

Conversely, I somehow rejoice that Professor Layton was able to spend some time with the love of his life one more time and get, I believe, some closure. Perhaps my views on this are twisted, though.

I am relieved he sought solace in you and Flora, his trusted friends, to support him. I am comfortable that he would never feel forsaken around you.

I bet that Flora must be demonstrating her culinary prowess daily to cheer the both of you up. She said she would bake and send me some ginger biscuits, but I wonder if they would pass a security check...

I regret having been unable to bid goodbye to 'Little' Luke. Nevertheless, it warmed by heart knowing that he wished to keep in touch with you and share new puzzles. Thank you for his note you passed onto me. I am looking forward to receiving Luke's letters as well in the near future.

I wish I were there by your side to help alleviate the loneliness you must feel.

Every second passing, every minute, hour and day, I always hold you in my thoughts.

Love is a precious wonder. A treasure we must cherish.

I don't believe in miracles. Or rather, I thought I didn't. But after reading that incredible story, I began to question myself about my own beliefs anyway.

Love seems to me now like a very tangible miracle. The foundations on which humanity can build... or rebuild a better future.

To face the future with another who means more than any other, is to be loved.

This unyielding feeling... I finally came to understand it thanks to you, (Name).

And for this, I adore you.

I can't wait for the day when I will be allowed prison visits. Until the next trials, it seems unlikely this day will come in the forthcoming months.

I won't leave this place anytime soon, either.

But I keep faith. I will wait.

In the meantime, this correspondence makes me more than happy.

Thank you always.

All my heart,

Clive

PS: It just came to my mind right now, but may I ask you a huge favour? Could you ask Cogg and Spring to provide me with a copy of the photographies I left in my room at Ms Constance Dove's residence? The one with my parents, and the one with Ms Dove, Cogg and Spring (it was taken right after my graduation, with the new camera I had bought after bring informed that my application as a journalist had been selected!)

If you agree, Love, would you mind sending me yours as well, as a memento? Until we see each other again.
(I bet my face is all over the news, so if you wish to frame my picture, you're spoilt for choice... He he. I'm pulling your leg here, so please don't get upset about it. You know I like teasing you.)

PS bis: Please send my regards to the professor and Flora.

You put the piece of paper on your chest, where your heart is, and close your eyes.

"How is Clive?"

"It seems to me he is doing fine. He sends you his regards and..."

"And?"

"... His heartfelt sympathy. I apologise, Professor. I should have asked you for permission beforehand."

"I take no offense in you telling the truth to the person you love. On the contrary, I commend you for it. I'm grateful for Clive's kind words. I, too, will send him a letter soon."

"What about Luke's puzzle? Did you like it?"

"Puzzling, indeed. See for yourself."

He hands you the letter and you start reading it. 

"Very clever. I like it!"

You give it back, and he carefully places it on his desk.

He is smiling radiantly. Just like this day.

He looks out the window and then stands up from his chair.

"Thank you for keeping me company, today. I look forward to reading your assignment and grading it."

You shake your head.

"My pleasure! And please, take your time, Professor."

There is no need to rush for anything.

Of all people, Professor Layton is the one who deserves all the time in the world.

You gaze at his hat, hanging on the coat rack.

You feel like you have not seen him wearing it much, lately.

"You certainly have a promising future ahead of you in the field of archeology, dear (Name)."

"Oh...", you blush, now paying attention to him after being distracted. "I'm flattered. I really look up to you."

He chuckles.

You exit the office together, and he locks it.

"Are you studying in the library again, this evening?"

"No, I'm not. I'm running some errands for Clive."

"Good. Flora made me promise to go home earlier. She said she would kindly cook me a feast."

"How sweet! That's her way of caring for you. I wish you a lovely evening."

"Thank you, (Name), the same to you. See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow, Professor."

Each day passing will lead all of you to another tomorrow.

To a new tomorrow.