Chapter 2: friends, old and new

songs in this chapter:
Ship in a Bottle by fin
This is Love by Air Traffic Controller

The meeting with Marlene was scheduled for Wednesday at 2 pm which meant that at 1:15 pm, Remus was desperately going through his closet trying to find the outfit with just the right mix of professional and personality. Every sweater he owned was thrown all over his bed, sp he eventually gave up and called James.

"What the hell are we wearing?" Remus asked as soon as the line connected.

There was a laugh distantly on the other end that sounded suspiciously like Sirius' but James answered him, "Well Peter is wearing his work suit. I am just wearing a white button-up and some black slacks. Sirius on the other hand is refusing to wear anything but his ripped black jeans and leather jacket - "

"Hey," Sirius' voice cut in, "I look damn good and I won't change my style for anyone." Remus heard a long-suffering sigh come from James, but Sirius continued speaking, "Honestly, Remus, just wear anything. You always look great."

Remus had no idea what to do with that compliment so he just looked at his pile of clothes once again. He had a button-up from when he used to do job interviews; it might work. "Okay," Remus said, "I'll see you guys there."

"See you, Remus!" Sirius shouted into the phone and then there was James' voice saying his goodbyes.

Remus showed up to Phoenix Records at 1:50 wearing black jeans, a button-up, and a comfy sweater. (Ostensibly because it was cold, but in reality, it was because he needed support if he was going to get through this meeting). He met up with the rest of the Marauders and they walked inside the giant glass building.

The lobby was enormous, with wide-open windows, modern sculptures, and a waterfall wall that was at least twenty feet high. Everyone was wearing business suits or professional-looking dresses. Remus felt immediately out of place and started fidgeting with his sleeves.

"Relax," Sirius said quietly beside him, "You look cute. Marlene will love you." Remus let out a shaky breath and gave Sirius a small smile.

"Thanks," he said back. "You look great too."

"I always do, Remus," he said and then the four of them made their way to the receptionist's desk.

There was a young woman sitting behind the counter who straightened up immediately when she spotted them. "Hey, Sirius," she said in a low voice. "It's been a minute."

Remus watched Sirius' face. There was not a trace of recognition in it, but if there was one thing Sirius Black could do, it was flirt. "Hey, love," he said as he leaned over the counter, "Yeah, it's been far too long."

The woman smiled. "So what are you doing here?"

"My band and I have a meeting with Marlene McKinnon."

The girl turned back to her computer and started typing rapidly. "The Marauders?"

Sirius flashed a grin, "That's us."

"She's on the fifteenth floor. Room 1510. I'll let her know you're on your way."

"Thank you, love," Sirius said and then leaned in close to her, "text me." Remus resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

Once they were in the elevator, Sirius was standing against the wall with a self-satisfied smirk.

"How do you do that?" Peter asked.

"I don't know what to tell you, Pete. Some of us just have charm." He locked eyes with Remus and winked. Remus refused to unpack whatever the hell that meant.