Epilogue - 4:44

The fiancée wanted ice cream, so here they were. Sitting at the couch in the living area, freshly showered, watching an old movie together, and cuddling. Well, attempting to cuddle each other and a bowl of ice cream at the same time. Selphie wore one of his white T-shirts as she leaned against his bare chest. Squall opted for boxers and lounge shorts.

"Hey Squall," Selphie started, licking the spoon of her strawberry and chocolate ice cream mix.

"Mm?" He hummed while savoring his rocky road mixed with caramel and strawberry drizzle, he was a mouthful into his scoop so actual words would have to wait.

"Would you believe me if I told you that I never thought any of this would happen?" Selphie confided, earning an interesting look of Squall's incredulous expression, coupled with furrowed brows and a spoon dangling from his mouth. The snorted laughter that emitted from her didn't let up on his confounded features. When the laughter didn't let up, Squall just took the spoon out of his mouth and started pointing it at her, waving it like he was scolding her.

"You can't just say something like that and expect me to not have that reaction." They both knew that he wasn't wrong, even if there were moments Squall wished he wasn't correct about certain things.

Calming her laughter, she couldn't help but train her eyes on the ornate blue bowl her ice cream sat in there, slowly melting from lack of inaction. "I don't know," she started, "It feels like something out of a fairytale. It took me months to convince myself that we were actually dating because it felt like a dream." She started to stir her ice cream a bit, feeling as if she was doing something.

"Now to know that I'm going to be marrying someone that I've always considered my best friend?" The smaller framed woman made a point to lean further into him, quirking her head as her forest green eyes turned upwards to his. "Let alone being alive long enough to marry said best friend?" She smiled.

Squall had finished his ice cream during the confession, however, he regarded Selphie with a pointed look. She knew how she felt about speaking potentially negative things into existence, it made him nervous. Well, his nervousness lasted about two weeks, luckily their vacation was a three-week private excursion. The anxiety should wear off by then, she thought.

"You know I'm stoked, love," She gestured with her free hand, "You're the light of my life and I can't wait to be with you for the rest of our lives." Squall took Selphie's free hand, bringing the knuckle to his lips to press a firm kiss to it.

"I also can't wait." Placing his bowl on the table before them, he leaned down and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"I'm also excited to continue having the best sex of my life with you." The guffaw Squall let out would have been uncharacteristic of him if anyone else heard it. Yet, it was Selphie, who never failed in her honesty towards him.

"Oh yeah? Is that all I'm good for?" The brunette feigned offense.

"That and your stellar meals." Now the two of them were both laughing at the sentiment. Selphie was joking and he knew it, didn't stop him from pinching her teasingly.

The topic of conversation changed when they returned back to the antics of the movie and they both critiqued the realism of a fantasy movie surrounding romance and war. The irony that this was playing as they were finishing up their late-night desserts. Squall took both their bowls into the kitchen to worry about when they woke up next, he wanted to resume his position on the couch with his fiancée.

Upon returning, Selphie brought a blanket for both of them to share and a fluffier pillow for Squall. He grins at her thoughtfulness. As they reclined on the couch, sleep was slowly overtaking them before another round of conversation came. Selphie was curious about the possibility of them having children and Squall wasn't opposed, this was something they discussed at the beginning when they started seeing each other. When they were farther along in the relationship, he was interested in the idea of being a father. Granted, he was nervous considering he's only now learning about what it's like to have one, he worried about fumbling in being one. Selphie snuggled into him, sighing as she shared that he would be a wonderful father. A tender one at that.

Then there was another question that came to her mind again, "What if we fail at having kids on our own?" Tucking her head underneath Squall's chin.

He shrugged his unoccupied shoulder, "We won't know until we try, Sylph, you know that." It was a hand-off of worries for the future. Tonight, it was Selphie's turn with the small bundle of concerns. "When you finish your pack of birth control, we can start trying." Rubbing her arm for reassurance, "If it doesn't work, you know adoption is always an option." He kissed the top of her head after that mention, feeling her relax further into his build. "I'll never say no to that." He shared, re-iterating that point from a previous conversation from years prior.

All Selphie needed was comfort from her on and off-again worries. Releasing a small sigh from her lips allowed for all tension to be released. Constant usage of para-magic as a SeeD did leave room for the possibility of infertility for both men and women, but she did not want that kind of discouragement. The woman wanted to make an effort, and Squall would do everything in his power to help her with her want of being a loving mother. One that doted on her child, played lullabies for them on her acoustic guitar and took photogenic pictures with their offspring. The thought brought a smirk onto his features. Squall would be remiss if he didn't admit to even himself that the thought of Selphie and himself retiring from SeeD to lead normal lives was something he always fantasized about. If they took the careful steps, they should be able to leave SeeD before they're forty, perhaps earlier. Would they have a son or a daughter, couples usually would argue over such possibilities about their first offspring, but Squall was honestly just content in just having one.

Whoever they took after wasn't important, he just knew that they would be an interesting mix of the both of them. Even if they adopted, who knows what personality the child would have more of between the future parents? As long as they enjoy the healthy home they provide and a normal life unlike the one they had, that's all Squall is content about.

His thought were becoming sluggish as the dregs of sleep were tugging at him, trying to force him from this reality. Selphie, his ray of sunshine, and his true confidant said she loved him. It didn't matter how many times Squall heard it, his face warmed up before he responded in kind with, "I love you too."

Nothing could elevate Squall Leonhart more than this.