Chapter 7: Old Wounds, Part 3

Present Day:

"You got it out of your system yet?!" Suyin demanded walking over a bridge towards her big sister.

"Not quite!" Lin replied lifting up a chunk of the staircase forcing Bolin to jump off of it and into Wei's arms in fear.

Suyin picked up a boulder just as big and lifted it above her head, but before she could chuck her chosen weapon at her older sister, her daughter intervened.

Opal jumped between the two women blasting the massive masses of earth out of their grip. "What are you doing?! You two are sisters! Why would you want to hurt each other?!" the young woman shrieked at her mother and aunt.

"Ask HER that!" Lin replied angrily clutching the back of her leg, turning and limping away leaving in her wake an array of sharp, jagged spires protruding from the earth, piecing through the metal plates on the ground of Suyin's estate as the rather sizeable crowd watch with bewilderment.

"Did she pull a muscle or something?" Bolin asked Wei who shrugged.

"Lin! Come back! You can't just walk away from this!" Korra yelled running after her, jumping from spire to spire.

She almost reached Lin when a jut of earth shot out of the ground nearly impaling the avatar if she didn't airbend herself out of the way. Lin didn't even seem to notice. It was like a subconscious reflex.

Suyin's face fell as she recognized the chaos the Police Chief left in her wake. "Oh no!" Suyin gasped. "Stay back! I have to go after her!" Suyin said pushing Korra back and chasing after Lin.

Suyin managed to avoid death by using her seismic sense to feel the earth coming out before it did and followed Lin all the way to the guest houses where she had barricaded herself in and jammed the door shut with her metalbending and some platinum bolts.

"Lin, Let me in!"

Lin didn't respond.

"Please!"

Suyin pressed her back against the door and slid down to the ground.

"Lin, please. I- I—Just hear me. I want to apologize for today, for yesterday, for the last thirty five years. I know I made a lot of mistakes, and I'm sorry you had to be the one to suffer for them. I am sorry for all of the scars you have to live with because of me. I'm sorry I don't tell Mom about what she couldn't see. I'm sorry for getting tied up with the triads when I was twelve, and I'm sorry for going on that date when I was thirteen. I'm sorry you were raped. I know nothing I say or do can atone for the pain I've caused you, but swear to you, I've changed! I'm not the same impulsive and impudent little girl I was when I left Republic City 30 years ago! Please, Lin... I've been a terrible sister, but can I at least have the chance to try again?" Suyin begged. She looked up at the clouds in the sky, feeling fat tears forming in her eyes. She unfolded her arms briefly only to bend the metal panels on the ground before her to stand up on end around her and the door, forming a privacy wall before letting her tears fall.

Emotions were always seen as a weakness in Toph's eyes, so Lin and Suyin became experts at hiding everything.

Flashback (Suyin's POV)

Lin - 19, Suyin - 13

Suyin kicked open the stone door of their rather lavish estate and helped her sister inside.

"Where have you two been?" Toph demanded, leaning against the wall of the entryway with her arms folded and her eyes closed.

"Nowhere important," Lin replied grumpily.