Flashback I

*3 weeks ago*

• Freya •

Legs straight out on a convertible sofa-bed. Netflix on my tablet with black pepper potato chips.

Perfect setting to kill my time and to avoid my Mom's high-pitched ever complaining voice.

I laugh my ass off on the stupid, funny punch lines of comedies. Life seemed great like this as if I had no care in the world.

"You started again."

The same voice. Argh.

"At least for once act like an adult." Her voice became clearer and louder as she came closer to me.

I shifted my eyes from my tab's screen on her, pushing my snacks away and groaning. "Mom, please not right now. I'm not in the mood."

If there would be competition about who is the most derisive among all. My mother would have won the first place, I swear.

"When you're in mood to listen to me? Tell me the time and date, Freya." She appeared in front of me in her fancy outfits, crossing her arms on her chest. She was for sure coming from one of her social gatherings.

I bit the inside of my cheeks, controlling my outburst. I stuffed my mouth with chips.

The voices I was hearing through my airpods were now sounding like background noises. She disrupted the flow of the rom-com I was watching.

"Just stop eating that junk. You'll get fat and unattractive." She snapped. I flinched.

Angrily, I put aside my snack this time, paused the movie and rose to my feet, "You've a problem with everything I do."

"Because your lifestyle is crap. Tell me when you're joining office? How much more time you need to think about work?"

I was sick of this. I didn't know how to make her understand that I don't like serious, formal, cold environment of our office. I felt trapped there. I knew once I would join the company, there would be no escape. There would be no colors left in my life, but files, papers, suited-booted people and indeed, a lot of stresses.

Being the first heir of Howard Constructions was a burden, as huge and heavy as a bulldozer and honestly I wasn't yet ready to take this burden.

"Is there any end to your non-serious attitude? It's been six months you got your college degree and look at you no plans about what you are going to do ahead. You should be setting example for your younger sister. She'll follow your footsteps."

I had heard those words million times. They weren't new. "Mom, it's just six months not six years. I'm tired of you pointing out my flaws. I'm this. I'm that. You should end this too."

Her eyes narrowed, forming V between her brows, "Watch your mouth. You're talking to your mother."

I tightened my jaws, "Fine. I give up." I raised my palms in defeat, "I'm getting out of here."

I collected my things. I would resume my netflixing in my room.

"I'm blocking your credit cards. You're totally spoiled." She said in the ultimatum.