Flashback II

• Rafe •

"I have talked with nearby localities and collected general information about the area and my analysis says that it would be profitable for both of us. . ."

I crossed my legs, leaned back on my leather chair, causing it to stretch back further.

The person who was addressing us right now was the representative of a construction company, interested in working with us. He was explaining his proposal with the help of power point slides.

I was sitting in a large conference room of my office. It had large oval-shaped glass table, surrounded by chairs.

Father was here too with his few board members. In his presence I couldn't even crane my neck because he would think I was not giving my full attention. I needed to at least pretend through occasionally nodding my head at the presenter (whatever his name was). He was also stopping his gaze on me after every few minutes. Obviously he knew who I was. I was an important person in this construction company. I was the son of my father.

Uh-oh. Bad way to introduce myself.
I am--

Someone's phone's ringtone started echoing in the room. That presenter stopped talking.

I changed my sitting position, uncrossed my legs and looked here and there. Other people in the meeting room did the same, trying to find out who was the disruptor. I got furious, scowling each and every person sitting here. They were supposed to keep their devices on silent. I think now I had to teach them the basic rules of office meetings.

What a nuisance!

My father narrowed his eyes at me. I got confused. Then I noticed another pair of eyes on me too. My confusion deepened.

"What?" I mouthed my father.

He clenched his jaws, sighing disappointingly with a closed mouth.

The phone continued to ring in the background. I took a minute to think and that's when I realized something was buzzing in my back pocket. My pupils enlarged.

God, it's my own phone.

I bit my lower lip between my teeth in utter embarrassment then quickly tilted my posture a little and tried to pull out my device, but damn my cursed luck, I couldn't grab it and it fell on the floor under the table.

Panic, my fingers started shaking. I glimpsed at Father. His nostrils were flaring. He was near to explode. I bent down under the table and searched for my phone.

Damn you clamorous phone, just shut up for a second.

Thankfully, it stopped ringing after a few rings or I would rather say shouting. I picked it from the floor and sat up on my chair again. "I'm really sorry for this." I smiled stupidly as if it could cover up my lost state.

I didn't know it was my phone. How moronic.

I looked at the presenter, "You carry on." I adjusted my tie and tried to act cool. Suppressed mocking smiles on everyone's face tinted my cheeks with tomato red.