[32] change of plans

previously. . .

Past Naruto had given up on crying long ago, too. It got tiring and he felt weak when he cried.

But now he felt himself holding tears back. For once, the beast sealed inside of him had brought something good. Sure, it was because of his trouble that Sakura and Sasuke were saying these things, but. . .

Still.

It was nice.

"You got it, Sakura-chan."

///\

They'd only rested shortly before taking to the trees once more, but each member of Team 7 felt worlds different departing than they had stopping.

Past Naruto thought he'd feel somewhat. . .naked, having everyone close to him aware of the beast within him. And he did, but not quite like he'd imagined. It was amazing to not feel that burden on his shoulders alone. He felt like he'd given a third of it to Sakura and Sasuke each.

And the things his future self had said were surprisingly reassuring--and made a lot of sense.

Past Naruto did want to try and start things over with the Nine Tailed Fox (Kurama?).

After all, he was stuck with him for a lifetime.

Sakura and Sasuke might not realize it, but they were also feeling the beginnings of a tight bond between the three of them. What had been fractured in recent weeks was slowly being fused back together through things that were, although unfortunate, very necessary.

Naruto, for one, knew he'd changed the future of this timeline maybe a bit too much. But that was okay. The least he could do with his knowledge was better things for his team. They deserved that much. His past self deserved it.

They were approaching their destination quickly, and Naruto could feel it. There was a rush in his blood, a slight sinking feeling in his gut. He was ready. Right? Yeah. They were going to set things right in Konoha and shut off this pesky genjutsu, and then he could go back home.

Time might be frozen there, but there was still a war on hold.

He was watching them from above, using senjutsu to see his surroundings. Being so close to arriving at Orochimaru's hideout, another ambush wouldn't be favorable. Sasuke, Sakura, and his younger self probably didn't sense the difference between his clone and original self. They ran, dashing from branch to branch as little blurs from what he could see, following him silently.

Kakashi slowed to a stop ahead of them, and the rest of them followed suit. He turned to face them, pulling a kunai from the pouch at his leg. "There are two entrances. I'll take the back, and you four will go in from the front. Leave someone behind in the case that anyone slips out. Naruto, are we clear?"

Naruto blinked, reaching out with his senses carefully. His response was delayed and for a moment, his brows furrowed.

This chakra. . .

"Naruto?"

He shook his head. "Clear, as far as I can tell."

"Good." Kakashi looked to his students. "Naruto is in charge when we split. If that fails, I leave Sakura to make the sensible decision. Understood?"

Naruto rolled his eyes.

Kakashi waved lazily as he made to leave. "Let me know if you come across him first, or anyone else for that matter. Do not make a move first. Good luck."