....Save a life

Archer pov

Coming into hospital on my day off wasn't what I had planned nor was treating a patient when I could be at home enjoying the time I have off, there is loads of doctors and nurses around the hospital that could have done what I just did but no instead I got the phone call. Taking a seat at the desk I fill the paperwork out before signing a couple of discharge papers for the patients in the er, running a hand though my hair knowing once I finished I can go home but its less likely as they just phone me in again, I should of turned my phone off. Looking around the er I spot more empty beds then patient and a smile appears on my face knowing its a quiet day and I should definitely be going home after I finished the paperwork but looking at the massive file in front of me, I somehow don't think that is true. Reading one file I don't even think I treated this patient but I sign my name anyway as it probably come back to me anyway. Lost in the files I don't see anyone in the hospital and I know straight away they are outside, wanting to know what happened I pull one of the doctor running

"Paramedic caught in a fire" is the only words I get and I drop my pen and run outside hoping it isn't who I think it is, I know that both Megan and Ellie are working today and I know Megan wouldn't run into a fire so that leaves Ellie. Pushing my way to the front I see the chief car race past me before I see ambulance sixty one stop in front of me, opening the doors I spot Megan holding a child in her arms and then Ellie laying on the stretcher, my heart begins to sink as I pull the stretcher out the ambulance and into the er, I don't know what happened but I know i'm going to get all the details like why is a paramedic running into a place that was in a fire, isn't that the fire fighters job to run into the burning building. Telling a nurse to get the child sorted and phoned it parents I look at Ellie, she looks pale.

"Ellie was laying on top of the child and got most of the impact, her heart stopped but we got a rhyme back. She sacrifice herself" nodding my head as I try to side a tube down her throat, I see the smoke she took in. Ellie sacrificing herself for a child sounds about right but what doesn't is why she was in the building anyway, looking at Megan for a quick second I can tell she's about to break down as she looks at her partner and before I can say anything else four people come running into the er looking for Ellie and the boy Logan. I guess Ellie parents are here and what looks like two of her brothers. Holding Ellie hand I quickly whisper something in her ear before letting her go, to talk to the chief and her family.

"What was you thinking letting Ellie run into the building, she has a son to think about. I wont loose her" stepping in between both the chief and Ellie mother I cant stop thinking about what she shouted, and when I mean shouted, I mean everyone stopped what they was doing to listen to the women shout. Now everyone at the hospital knows Ellie has a son not even myself knew but I guess it makes sense a little why she's closed off and still wears the wedding band. Looking around the hospital I spot the whole fire house standing in the er waiting for information along with Ellie family and those two arguing about everything isn't going to fix anything anytime soon, I just wish Ellie thought about what she was doing before running into a burning building, she lost her husband to a fire and I guess she wasn't going to lose her son to one either.

"Ellie has been admitted and we will watch over her, she took in a lot of smoke and only has some minor burns which should heal. Ellie's son was covered and only took in a little smoke, Ellie shield him till help came which is why he's fine and he's good to go home" I manage to say before spotting a little boy come running to Ellie mother, looking at the boy now I see Ellie in him but I cant believe she never mentioned anything about having a child, I guess everyone aloud a secret or two.

Even though its my day off I head to the on call room wanting to lay down a little before going to see Ellie, I told everyone they could see her once she's been settled in and made sure she had her own room with an extra bed, if I know anything I know someone will be staying with her at all time till she's awake and then discharged. It was reckless what she did however theres a part of me that finds her brave for doing what she did, I couldn't imagine sitting on the sidelines if someone I loved was in a fire, from hearing everything I now can tell Ellie is loved by all the fire fighters, they have gone to her room making sure she's ok and she is.