One date

Archer pov

I wanted to be there when Ellie got the discharged paper but I was paged to an emergency and I missed saying goodbye but I know I'll be seeing Ellie sometime soon, the time we spent chatting was the best hour of my life, she brings something out of me which has been missing for some time now. I never thought about wanted to date till I spent time with her, she's a dime in a dozen that I just want to get to know more but there one little problem, she still loves her husband. I know she lost her husband and isn't ready to date however I want to be the option she chooses when she is ready even if I have to push her a little to get her to come out her shell. Too her it may be a little soon to move on with someone different and I kind of understand that. All I have to do is try and get her to fall in love with me, I will never let her forget about her husband and the good times but I just want to be the person she wants after deciding to get back out there. When we first met I wanted to know more about her and I still do, it wasn't love at first sight but it was damn close, she's different which I like, she doesn't jump my bones when she sees me like some of these nurses that I work with, she challenges me which I love.

Focusing on my jog I try not to think about the black hair green eye beauty that contains my thoughts as I live and breath, I have never been the settle down and marriage type until I met Ellie and learning she already has a child and now a widow it makes me wonder If I actually have a shot. Trying not to think about her I let the cold air hit my face as I increase the speed off my afternoon jog, I don't normally jog much but waking up this evening I needed something else to think about as waking up with a rock solid hard on wasn't something I appreciate as I want the real thing and thats not going to happen till I figure out how to get her to date me. Making it home I check the time wondering what to do with the rest of the day even though I should be sleeping after working the night shift but nothing comes to mind. Grabbing a bottle of water out the fridge I pull my phone out from my pocket wondering if I should or shouldn't but before I know it I'm typing her a message.

me: hey, you free?

Ellie: depends what you have in mind

me: the shower if you're still interested?

I couldn't help myself but tease her a little unsure how to break though her defence but after the chat I had with her in the hospital I know she needs a shoulder to talk to from time to time, I could go from friends to lovers but how would I break out the friend zone, not sure how to break though I wait till a response wondering if she's actually thinking about it or making me wait. Looking out the window I try not to think about my phone but in reality I have only been waiting five-seconds since I texted her and i'm dying for her to reply, oh man i'm whipped.

Ellie: Keep dreaming lover boy but how about coffee at the cafe? my treat

Me: its a date;)

Smiling at my phone I couldn't help myself as I put its a date I want her to know i'm interested and willing to go at her pace even if its friends first, I know its baby steps and I'm happy to wait. Running upstairs I head for a quick shower before putting on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, I know its only coffee and a first step in the right direction I don't want to stand on anyone toes especially her son as I know he comes first and will always come first but I just want to show her that she can put herself first sometimes and be happy, I want to see her smile. Looking at my watch I head to the cafe hoping to get there first and a back booth where it's only going to be the two of us where no one can spot us. Thinking about everything I find myself smiling wider then I normally do, it seems like forever since I actually smile for real. Pulling into a parking spot I head inside excited for the date, Ellie is all I think about she consumes me. Taking a seat in the booth I wait for Ellie to turn up hoping she hasn't stood me up but she doesn't seem like the type, pulling my phone from my back pocket I look to see if she texted me but hasn't

"Hey I hope I didn't keep you waiting" I hear forcing me to look up to see her green eyes that shine when the light hits them directly, watching Ellie take a seat I find myself that I cant take my eyes off her, she has so much grace in her step. Smiling at her I have already ordered her a coffee and a carrot cake not sure if she eats it or not as if she don't, I definitely will.

"Not at all, how it feel to be out the hospital?" I ask breaking the ice making sure she feels comfortable, I don't know what she's been though or going as she hasn't opened up much yet but i'm determined to learn a little more about her whether it's tonight or in due time. As the waitress brings the coffee and cake I give her a smile before turning my attention to Ellie, she sits there silent watching the waitress leave.

"I couldn't wait to leave, I missed my own bed" smirking at her words I take a bite off the cake before grabbing another piece but this time I bring it too Ellie lips to taste, I watch as she takes the cake but she looks me directly in the eyes as she's teasing me. Smiling at Ellie I look forward to seeing her again. The chat between us flows so easy but she doesn't say much about herself, I know she isn't hiding anything but pain from herself, her past has been something else and I can see it in her eyes, I just wish she open up and I can find a way to make her life easier but I can't do anything which makes me feel helpless. Sitting in front of her right now I feel at ease her smile just brightens up my day, her present can make anyone smile.