03

Jason 

7:25 a.m, Monday, January 12th 2019

I have wanted to get into Harvard as long as I can remember. In other words, my dad wanted me to get in Harvard for as long as I can remember. I won't be surprised if I found out my first word was Harvard. It's not that he's pressurising me to get into Harvard, I want to study there, get a doctorate degree in Biophysics, settle down and provide for my family like my father did. 

Today is my interview. I couldn't be more nervous.

I love football. I really do, but dad says it won't help me settle later in life because I'm not going to be this young and fit forever, which is why I quit football to focus on my studies. Dad doesn't want me to repeat my grandpa's mistakes. Grandpa was exceptional at football in highschool and wanted to pursue it as a career. A day before his big game, he sprained his ankle. Not wanting to miss his first and last chance, as he hadnt made a plan B, he went ahead and played. Tried to play perhaps. Rather he aggravated the damage and tore his ligaments into half, went for surgery and now has arthritis. He was not able to provide for his family. 

I look myself in the mirror. I had tailored an indigo suit and paired it with a White shirt and black tie. I sigh. My tie lays on my shirt undone. Tying a tie is such a pain in the ass. I resume the youtube video I have watched about 80 times now. At this point I'm thinking about not wearing one at all. That's when Nancy, my girlfriend, poked her head in the door. 

"Heyyy, you ready yet?" She asks, her voice sweeter than honey.

"Yeah, I'm just struggling with this damn tie!" I reply, my voice louder with frustration 

"Oh...you should've called me before!"

"YOU KNOW HOW TO TIE A TIE?!" I gape.

"Yea, I do it for my brothers all the time" she shrugs. 

Nancy Harrison is my first girlfriend and we have been inseparable since last year. Nancy has 2 younger brothers and had an older one. Her older brother Austin died in a car accident the night of his graduation 4 years back. She was only 12 then and now the oldest sibling. We met in a libary, and always coincidentally ended up together at the same time for a few days, which sounds cliché but that's how we started hanging out. She is a junior and wants to be a nurse, which makes us a perfect match. Biophysicist and a nurse, both working in the medical field. It's an understatement to say she's the sweetest, most kindest soul in the school, loved by every single one, life of the party her. Maybe its her appearance, Light brown hair with warm hazel eyes and her really cute smile or because she tutors half her class. But I think its her inviting warm aura. Now that is my type of woman.  

"Great! God you're my lifesaver," she walks to me her eyes catching the light. 

"Yeah I know" she rolls her eyes and giggles, she takes my phone and looks at the title of the video. 'How to tie a Windsor half/full knot'

"Do you want a full or half  Windsor knot babe?" She asks 

"Um..the fatter one?"I try to explain and she bursts out laughing, I'm embarrassed at my little to no knowledge on ties. Another thing added on my list of things to learn before Harvard. 

"Come on, you seriously can't not know any knot" she says in midst of her laugh, while I turn redder than a ripe tomato. 

"I dont know shit, which is why I have you in times like these"