Prologue

You might be born into this world alone, but you are never truly alone. You see, when you're born, you have many little colored strings attached to you, leading you to the many people you are predetermined to meet with.

These are called the strings of fate. These strings tie you to parental figures, siblings, family, and friends. Some of these strings don't last as long as you'd hope, but that's okay, because new strings can be formed in replacement.

The gods tied all these strings, the many colorful strings, to all their little creations. Strings can come and go, but there are two strings that are irreplaceable - the soulmate strings. The yellow string that symbolizes platonic soulmates, and then the red string of fate. And that thread, you might guess, is particularly special.

An invisible red thread that connects two people that were destined to be together since the moment they were born. This string can be stretched and tangled, but never broken. No matter the time, place, or circumstances, this string will never break.

As the gods tied these strings to the pinkies of the soulmates, they were also gifted a special type of communication — once the soulmates grow to be fifteen years of age, they're able to send messages by marking their skin.

The heroes Ladybug and Chat Noir were destined to meet, both in hero form and out. It was predetermined for them to be partners, to fight attacks against the city of Paris, by people whose feelings were taken advantage of, by one named Papillon and his akuma.

Even with the blessing of the gods tying Ladybug and Chat Noir's strings together, fate, however, had other plans. In order to protect their civilian identities, as well as their friends and family, there has been a long standing rule of secrecy. This rule was put in place only for those that hold the Miraculous.

Even with this rule, the soulmates managed to connect the dots... eventually.

Always together, never apart, maybe in distance, but never in heart.

x