SMG4: Final Minutes

Everyone stood, stunned as they heard the gunshots ring through the air. They all looked around, to catch a glimpse to see if anyone was affected by the fire. Everybody seemed fine, until Luigi collapsed to his knees, clutching his stomach in agony.

The room was motionless until Mario ran up to his brother, in a panic. Luigi could not focus on anything but the pain, he barely noticed Mario's arrival until he was spun around to face his older brother. Just then, it was noticed that three blotches of red had begun appearing on Luigi's overalls. Mario had a look of anguish on his face, one not often associated with the hero of the Mushroom Kingdom. For a moment, nobody dared utter a word; then a familiar voice was heard.

"Luigi? Bro?" Mario asked with a great display of concern.

"M-Mario" was all Luigi could sputter out with great pain to start. "God... it hurts."

Mario had prior experiences as a doctor, so he used his knowledge to hopefully prolong Luigi's life.

"Guys! Help me apply pressure to his wounds, dammit! LAY HIM FLAT ON HIS BACK, DO SOMETHING! I CAN'T LOSE YOU LUIGI!" Mario said, desperate to save his brother's life,

Luigi was in terrible shape, his body was trembling with shock. Luigi had begun bleeding from his mouth, coughing up more and more blood each time he had opened it. Luigi knew his time on Earth was dwindling to a close, he did not have very much life in him left.

"Mario, I... I don't think I'm.. going to make it," he took a deep breath full of pain before spitting up a sizable amount of blood. He then gazed off from his brother's stare and focused on the gorgeous purple sky. He was lost in thought about life's true beauty, even in the darkest times. He just stared in awe at the spectre in front of him, taking in as much as he could before returning his eyes to Mario's. He continued saying, "I know... I know I was the one who always took care of you. I'm.. sorry I can't be there... to help you," he said, sorrowfully.

Luigi had begun tearing up at the inevitability of his fate so cruelly dealt to him. The gang were not doing any better emotionally. Tari and Boopkins had broken down into tears. SMG4, Saiko, Axol, and Bob felt immense pain, but did not show it. Meggy was seeing flashbacks of Desti's death months earlier. None felt the same pain as Mario, however. Mario was in a state of disbelief, he felt that it wasn't real. It couldn't have been real. Mario had to have been dreaming, there was no way Luigi had been shot; right? He was brought back to the grim reality of the situation when Luigi had begun coughing up much more blood than before.

"I'm sorry, Mario. I'm just glad... just happy that I was able to do something brave for you. All my.. my life, I had always been annoyed by your antics... often questioning what I had done to deserve this," under any other circumstances, Mario would have punched Luigi for saying this; now, however, it was different. He had realized his treacherous acts to not only Luigi, but to everybody around him. This was a moment of reflection for the plumber. Luigi was bracing himself for what was about to happen.

"But other days I was.. thankful.. to be your brother. I could not have wished for a better brother. And for the rest of you... thank you, for all of the compassion you've.. showed me. I love you all,"

With the last sentence, Luigi could not find it within himself to talk again. The pain, not only of his body, but his spirit became too overbearing. He was left only with the comfort and knowledge that those closest to him would be there, right by his side until the bitter end. With memories of the past two and a half decades flying at him in a flurry; a smile spread across Luigi's face as he crossed into the light. On January 12, 2020 at 5:45pm, Luigi Mario passed away on Anime Island. With the quenching of the sun's light that day, so, too, went a fire of the Mario brothers. Mario couldn't take it, he lost his mind in a rage. He let a yell out to the Heavens, he just couldn't process it.