Chapter 6: A Dark Night

From out of the darkness sped the Joker's lowrider, being pursued closely by the batmobile.

Sitting in the lowrider was Harley Quinn and the Joker himself, laughing as he swerved across the streets.

In the batmobile sat Batman, scowling as he drove hot on the Joker's tail. Next to him was Spider-Man, holding on for dear life. There weren't any seatbelts, after all.

Harley turned around to face the batmobile, holding an RPG.

"What is that?" Spider-Man asked. "Is that a bazooka?"

She fired the bazooka, hitting the batmobile dead on, but barely scratching its armor. It would take a lot more to crack it open. The Joker handed her another round, and she fired again, causing Batman to lose control of the wheel and sputter for a moment, but he quickly regained control, continuing to speed behind.

"Can't you go any faster?" Peter asked.

Bruce said nothing in reply, pressing a button on the dashboard. In reality this button had injected nitrous oxide into the fuel tank, giving the batmobile a boost of speed and some flames coming out of its exhaust.

The Joker swerved around another corner. "Come and get me!" He shouted gleefully.

At this point Batman opened fire on the lowrider. The bullets dented the chassis, but no other damage could be seen.

The Joker suddenly swerved again, taking the lowrider in for a U-turn. He and Batman briefly made eye contact, their gazes exact opposites of one another.

"Woo-hoo!" Harley yelled as they sped away from the batmobile.

Batman quickly slammed the brakes on the batmobile.

"Why'd you stop?" Peter asked.

"We won't be able to catch him in this. When I say the word, you jump out of this car and hold on to his for dear life. He can not get away, do you understand?" Bruce asked.

Peter nodded. Bruce slammed into the gas, taking off after the Joker. He injected more nitrous oxide, slowly catching up to the lowrider. Bruce fired the batmobile's guns yet again, forcing the Joker to swerve slightly so the tires weren't hit.

Batman activated the cannon on the top of the batmobile, firing a shot ahead of the lowrider. The clang of the shell hitting the street behind them came just before the explosion ahead of the two vehicles.

The Joker swerved yet again, while Batman tanked through the flames.

"Now!" Bruce shouted. The canopy over Peter's seat opened and he fired two webs at the back of the Joker's vehicle, catapulting himself out of the batmobile and onto the trunk of the lowrider. He ducked to avoid a shotgun blast from a Harley, who was trying to shoot him off.

"Puddin, I think we got a bug on the back of our car!" Harley said as she cocked the shotgun again.

"Let me get the flyswatter!" The Joker said, reaching into the glove compartment.

"Oh my god!" Spider-Man said as he dodged the Joker's attempt to swing a crowbar at his face. "That is not a flyswatter!!"

The Joker swung again, and Harley fired at the same time. They both missed.

"I'm dying out here!" Peter called back to the batmobile, which was about twenty feet behind.

"Alfred, activate remote mode," Bruce said as he took his hands off the wheel.

"Remote mode initiated," Alfred informed him through the earpiece in his cowl.

Batman opened the canopy again, firing his grapple gun onto the back of the lowrider. He used one of his gauntlets to catch himself on the trunk, tearing into the metal.

"Hey!" The Joker said. "That's a custom paint job!" He swung the crowbar again.

"So was Robin's suit," Batman said.

"Now now, batsy," The Joker said quietly, "We both know that was your fault. Jokers on you, Batman!" He laughed.

"Keep your eyes on the road!" Harley screamed as the Joker swerved around another corner.

The headlights illuminated (Y/N) floating in front of the car.

The Joker quickly turned the wheel, causing the car to flip over. (Y/N) landed on the ground and slowly walked over.

Bruce grappled away, and Peter swung away, both of them standing right behind (Y/N).

(Y/N) could see one of the fuel pipes on the car was severed. Thinking quickly, he flew forward and grabbed an unconscious Harley and Joker just as the engine exploded.

"Why did you save him?" Bruce asked accusingly.

"I know he caused you pain, Bruce-"

"He killed my son. He deserves to die."

"No person, no matter how horrible or how cruel, deserves to die, Bruce," (Y/N) said. "Otherwise we're no better than them."

"You say that, and yet you don't condemn Wanda for what she did," Bruce said.

"What?"

"Westview?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"(Y/N), she took an entire town hostage with her powers. She created a version of you, and had three kids with it. That's why we brought you back. Because you were the only one strong enough to stop her madness."

"Then why don't I remember anything?"

"Because that wasn't you in the anomaly. It was some strange, bizarre version of you. You didn't know who you were. You didn't remember any of us."

"So you expect me to believe that she created some bizarro version of me and had three kids with it? And that she chose not to tell me?"

"He's not lying," Peter said. "I saw the news reports. She infected everyone's minds."

(Y/N) put Harley and the Joker down. "I need to talk to my wife."

——-

Wanda and Kara crouched behind a parked car outside of Gotham General Hospital. Crane and his henchmen were attempting to break into the hospital, likely to steal some of the drugs used to make his fear toxin.

Wanda's eyes flashed red as she lifted her hand and froze the henchmen in place. "Go," She said to Kara.

Kara jumped to her feet and grabbed the henchmen's weapons out of their hands, then knocked them out so they wouldn't cause trouble until the police arrived.

"Wait," Kara said. "Where's Crane?"

Wanda looked for a second before a chilling voice came behind her. "Well hello again," Crane said. Wanda whirled around as he raised his hand and sprayed her with his fear gas.

She coughed on the gas as Crane retreated, falling to her knees. When she opened her eyes again after subconsciously closing them, she found her three children, all dead or dying, on the ground in front of her.

(Y/N) stood on the hood of a car not ten feet away.

"You lied," Was all he said.

Wanda began to scream as she realized what she was seeing.

He had killed them.

Batman walked up between the two of them. "She's been infected by the fear toxin."

"Do you have the antidote?" (Y/N) asked.

"Yes." Batman pulled out a syringe and plunged it into Wanda's neck.

The bodies of the triplets disappeared and everything returned to normal.

"It's alright," (Y/N) said. "It wasn't real."

Peter swung onto the scene, dragging a webbed-up Crane behind him. "Was that all of them?"

"I think so," Bruce said. "Let's get them to the nearest precinct so they can be transferred to Arkham."