06 |

C H  A P T E R   S I X

C H  A P T E R S I X

I'm suffocating.

There is barely any air making its way into my lungs. The walls are closing and closing and closing and now I am heaving to try and retain the air.

When I open my eyes everything is black, a dizzy of spots curling around my eyes. I feel like I am drowning but there is no water drowning me. My lungs refuse to work with every breath I try to force down and pressure forms around my heart. It's more than a clenching sensation, it's a crushing one.

The walls stay closing and closing and—

I gasp.

Air suddenly rushes into me and I am left wheezing for every ounce I can get. I am gulping as many breaths as I can in and I realize I am just making everything worse.

I need to breathe.

In.

Out.

I school the shaky breaths into a slow controlled one. Repeating those two words over and over again with each action. The shaking of my body continues, but it is less now. My clothes however are drenched in sweat, like someone took a bucket of water and completely soaked me in it.

My throat bobs as I take shakier breaths in. I glance down at my hands, the covers, Adeline sleeping soundly next to me, and the just barely illuminated room.

Ok, I think, not suffocating anymore.

Adeline's gentle snores start to fill the room as my heavy breathing goes softer. Thankfully I hadn't woken her up, instead, our bundle of a blanket that I believe I had thrown off myself had landed on her and her face was just barely peeking under the cocoon.

I reached over and peeled a small bit back to make sure she had room to breathe. Her lips suddenly tugged upwards and I let my own soft smile stretch on mine. I leaned over and kissed her forehead gently, brushing back a few strands of hair, before getting off the bed.

My muscles were strained as I took careful steps to the adjoined bathroom. I flicked open the lights and closed the door. I took a glimpse of myself in the mirror and sighed.

My ginger hair was tossed in various knots. Some strands were wet with sweat and others were frizz with air. My eyes held dark heavy bags and a slight hue of red had cloaked itself over them. My lips were a pale white that outshone the ghost of my skin. All in all, I looked like a part of the dead.

I decide to peel off my sweaty clothes and jump into the shower. The warm water runs over my body and helps soothe the goosebumps. I scrub my body and wash my hair till I'm sure not an ounce of sweat clings to my skin.

I close the water and get out, wrapping a towel around myself and smoothing my hair back I tiptoe out of the bathroom and open the dresser to rummage around for some clothing. I find some leggings and an old oversized t-shirt, grabbing them I go back into the bathroom and change quickly before stepping out again.