07 |

C H A P T E R   S E V E N

"Whos at the door, dells?"

"uh—some man?"

I frown. Some man? Oh—Atlas.

A yawn leaves me as I get up from the couch. My limbs feel heavy but I stalk to the door to find Atlas crouching in front of Adeline who's giggling at something he said, "—as pretty as a princess."

He notices me then and stands up from his crouch. Adeline starts tugging at my shirt, "Larkie did you hear what he told me!"

"I did." I glance at Atlas. "That was very sweet." Adeline looks over at Atlas and passes him one of her dimpled smiles before running off with one last tug at my shirt.

Atlas flicks his head to her retreating form. "She's adorable."

My lips tug up at the ends, "wait until she's screaming and has you in a headlock." His eyes go slightly bewildered and I shrug. "You mind waiting a little bit? Sam has lacrosse and it's about fifteen minutes before he finishes."

"Yeah. Sure," he smiles and steps inside. He closes the door behind him and follows me into the living room. Which upon seeing it I grimace.

"I'm sorry for the mess," I wince as he steps over a colorful coil toy. "I kinda forgot you were coming."

He laughs and moves to sit down as I clear a bunch of things off the table. "I don't think mess is a problem. Shows true nature."

I raise a brow, "you sure you're a logistics major?"

He casts me the same look, "last I checked yes."

"Just saying," I flick one of Adeline's dolls toward the corner of the room. "Maybe poetry would be more suiting."

He sighs and leans back, feigning sadness. "It was a dream of mine."

"Well," I sit down and pass him a small smile. "Dreams are meant to be chased."

He smirks, "now who's the poet?"

I shrug and go to say something else but instead, a loud couple of sneezes leave me. I move to grab a tissue and wipe my nose. Atlas's eyes hold question and I sneeze once more before answering, "cold."

"Oh," he looks sincere. "Well, I hope you feel better soon."

"Thanks," I blow my nose and toss the tissue into the trashcan. "I hope I feel better too. It's been a week, dammed cold is set on staying there."

"What a bitch," his eyes twinkle.

A small laugh leaves me and his eyes linger. He opens his mouth to say something but suddenly Adeline jumps onto the couch beside him. Leaning in extremly close, her eyes narrow on his, and for a moment there Atlas seems a bit scared. She holds up a finger in front of his face and moves it left and right, Atlas tracks the movement with wariness.