birthday

A/N: ok so I keep switching between second and first person in these one shots. I hope you don't mind. It's just some days I find it easier to write in one perspective and others I find it easier to write in another. Anyways... enjoy the one shot!!!

I woke up slowly with the sun flooding in through the curtains and onto the mess of sheets I found myself tangled in. My face was pressed into Natasha's shoulder, my cheek smushed up against her skin, and my arm was holding her tight around the waist. I could feel her legs intertwined with mine in the same position we had fallen asleep in last night. Even after 6 months, this was a view I would never get bored of. For a moment I just breathed. Breathed in the scent of coconut from her shampoo and the musky smell of her usual perfume left over from the night before. Using my free hand, I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, glancing up to see Nat watching me through her own sleepy eyes. Damn, those green eyes looked even better with the sun bouncing across them.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" I practically whispered, my voice not quite awake yet apparently.

"No, I've been awake for a while моя любовь, I just love watching you sleep." Natasha replied, her voice husky and laced with sleep similarly to my own.

"Well that's a little bit creepy Miss Romanoff, don't you think?" You quirked, raising an eyebrow slightly.

"Pfft. You know what I mean, you dork." She raised her eyebrow in return. Wait, how did she manage to make it look so much sexier than when I tried. I'd have to practice that in the mirror later.

"Do I now?" I replied.

She just hummed in response, leaning down to place a delicate kiss upon my lips, her lips curving into a smile as she did. As she pulled away, I pulled her back to pop another tiny peck on them.

"I wasn't finished." I mumbled, blushing slightly.

Just as she leant forward for a third kiss, Tony burst into the room. Trust him to respect our privacy. My head whipped around to glare at him and I could feel Nat's eyes boring into him as well. We were not impressed.

"God, get a room you two." He quipped, smirking slightly.

"Dude. You're joking right? WE LITERALLY HAVE A ROOM. You barged in here. Dude!" I lost my temper. Today was a good day, I just wanted to lie here with Natasha all day with NO interruptions. I just wanted today to be a good day.

"Woah. Y/N. It was obviously a joke. I only came in to wish you happy birthday. And seeing as it's your birthday, that is the only reason I am letting you off for your attitude." Tony remarked, raising his hands up in false surrender, before backing out of the room and closing the door.

I felt Natasha's once tight grip on me loosen. She got out of bed and walked to the bathroom without a word. I knew why and I just stared at my hands as a wave of shame and guilt washed over me. I never told Nat that today was my birthday. It wasn't anything against her, I just, didn't enjoy my birthday so didn't intend on celebrating.

I slowly clambered out of bed myself, plodding over to the en-suite door and knocking lightly.

"Nat, bubs, can we talk?" I said softly, knowing she could either be mad or sad right now, I was unsure which.

"No." She replied bluntly.

"Nat. Please." I whined, I just needed her to come out so I could explain.

The lock clicked and I took that as an invite to go into the bathroom. I peeked my head around the door to see my girlfriend sat on the edge of the counter with tears in her eyes. Okay, we got sad Nat. I'm not sure which I thought would be easier to deal with - sad or mad - but I guess I'll have to find out.

"You didn't tell me it was your birthday." She remarked, a slight shake in her voice when she spoke as if it was taking everything in her to fight back the tears.

"I know. I didn't tell anyone." I reassured.

"B-but Tony knew. Why does he know?" Nat replied, making a good point.

"Tony read my file. I never wanted him to know my birthday." I explained, sincere in everything I was saying.

"Y/N. Why didn't you tell me?" A singular tear fell this time, as she was unable to hold them back any longer, "Do you not trust me? I mean, we've been dating 6 months. What's so bad about a birthday that you didn't want to tell your own goddamn girlfriend?"

Oh no. We were getting mad Nat now. Two for one deal. I better brace myself and explain sooner rather than later.

"I-."

"I don't know why you don't trust me. I love you but the lack of trust hurts you know."

"Bubs, listen-."

"Y/N, I tell you everything and I don't even know your BIRTHDAY?! I mean that's a low blow-." Natasha interrupted again. But now it was my turn to interrupt her - anything to get her to listen.

"BECAUSE MY DAD DIED ON MY BIRTHDAY. OKAY?!" I shouted it a lot louder than I had intended. A silence hung in the air for a second as the tears began to roll down my face and didn't seem to be stopping. Nat just pulled me into a hug, rubbing my back as the silent sobs wracked my body. Once my breathing calmed I continued to explain. "I didn't tell you about my birthday because I knew you'd want to do something special for me. I know you Nat, you'd want to make today perfect by doing something special. But, the thing is, the way today would have been perfect is by spending a normal day with you. Cuddles with you in the morning, training with you, kissing you throughout the day, making out with you tonight. I don't need anything more because doing anything more feels wrong. I can't celebrate the day my dad died, you know? And I knew that if you knew today was my birthday, I wouldn't have the normal routine which makes every day perfect. And then I'd be left feeling a weird mixture of guilt and grief that would ruin my birthday even more. I thought if I didn't tell you and we went through our usual perfect day then it might be a decent birthday for once."

Natasha pulled back, looking me in the eyes with such understanding and love that I wished I'd told her sooner.

"I understand, my love, I do. But if you didn't want to celebrate I wouldn't have forced you. Birthday aside, I would have wanted to support you on such a tough day - it's not something you should go through alone. All you had to do was ask for morning cuddles, and daytime kisses, and evening make outs and I would've delivered, you know that, right? I love you and if that's the perfect day for you then hey, that's what we'll do today."

"I love you too." Was all I managed to say through the crying which has started again some point within her words.

"Now let's go finish our morning cuddles, yeah? I believe we got rudely interrupted last time." Nat said with a smirk, but still the loving look in her eyes didn't falter. She delicately held my hand, and led me back to bed where we lay. My face was pressed up against her chest, her hands combing through my hair, our legs tangled and my arm slotted perfectly around her waist as before.

"Happy birthday, моя дорогая." Nat spoke into my hair.

"Thank you, bubs." I smiled, as for the first time in years, celebrating my birthday may not be the worst thing in the world.