Chapter 13: Tea Time

Nick feared few things in this world, but even she found the prospect of tea with Gabriel's family a little daunting. Her worries appeared to be for nothing as his mother, Lady Kilkenny, was lovely, chatting and making her feel welcome.

He definitely got his looks from her, both in height and blonde hair. There was little of his father in him, which was probably for the better, as the Earl of Kilkenny sat quietly at the small table in the family parlour, sipping his tea and joining very little in the conversation. He had a severe face with bushy eyebrows and a hawk-like nose. His mouth drawn like he constantly smelled something foul.

"How is your family?" Lady Kilkenny enquired as she offered Nick a cup of tea.

Accepting the cup and saucer, Nick smiled gratefully. "They are very well, thank you. My brother and his wife are in attendance this weekend, but my sisters remain in London."

"Very good. They are all lovely. So pleased to hear they are well. I would have invited the marquess and marchioness this morning, but I thought it would be nice to meet just us. I hope you don't mind?"

"Not at all." It might have been nice to have her sister-in-law there, but Nathaniel would have just been scowling. Maybe he could have had a scowling contest with the earl. Looking around the mint green parlour, she said, "You have a lovely home here, Lady Kilkenny."

"Oh, thank you." Lady Kilkenny beamed and looked over at Gabriel. "You have found such a wonderful young lady, Gabriel."

He nodded, focusing on his tea. Maybe he was counting down the minutes until they could end this farce. Nick took a sip of her own drink, trying to hide her heating cheeks as she remembered his body close to hers in his room the previous night. She'd so wanted him to kiss her, but his resolve not to do so was remarkable. It had smarted when he threw her out of the room. She'd been so certain he wanted to kiss her, but now she wasn't so sure. Maybe he only found her to be a nuisance he had to deal with.

Lady Kilkenny turned to her husband. "Hasn't he done well?" she asked.

The earl made a noise that could have meant anything. It didn't escape Nick's notice that Gabriel's mouth tightened slightly. Looking slightly flustered by her husband's non-response, Lady Kilkenny turned back to her. "Has Gabriel shown you around? There are some beautiful walks in the area."

"Not yet. There's not been time with the weekend party underway," Gabriel said.

"Of course. Some of our guests are going into the village this afternoon. You should join them and walk back. It's a lovely little stroll. Not too long and not too short."

"Mother," Gabriel mumbled, giving her an exasperated look.

"I'm only suggesting." She winked, making Nick hide a smile behind her teacup. She liked Lady Kilkenny.

"I think that sounds lovely," she said. A walk alone with Gabriel definitely didn't sound bad. If he disagreed, his face didn't betray it.

"Have you two considered when you might want to have your wedding?" Lady Kilkenny asked and Nick saw Gabriel freeze, his teacup halfway between his mouth and the saucer.

"We haven't thought that far ahead yet," he mumbled as he put the cup down, throwing Nick a quick glance.

The earl surprised them all by grunting. "Michael would have been married and sired an heir by now. None of this dawdling about. You're certainly old enough. Make haste, son."

Only the slight twitching of a muscle in Gabriel's jaw indicated that his father's words affected him, his face remaining impassive. Not sure what to make of the earl's words, Nick remained silent. She didn't know the story there, but she didn't like the way the older man spoke to his son.