Home, Train, and School

No letters in this chapter.

"So, this is a white dress shirt, huh?" Alberto grinned at himself in the mirror, "I look good!"

"Yes, you do!" His new dad laughed bringing in a piece of cloth that Alberto had never seen before. He attempted to tie it around Alberto's neck-

"Wh-what- is this?" Alberto stuttered, backing out of reach and eyeing the cloth suspiciously.

"It is a tie. I do not blame you for not liking it. One of the reasons I like the mar is not dressing like this." He started putting the tie on Alberto again.

"Do I have to wear it?" Alberto asked with pleading eyes.

"It's strongly recommended."

"That doesn't mean yes-" Alberto attempted to take off the tie but ended up tightening it by accident. Luckily, his dad stepped in immediately.

"That thing is a hazard!" Alberto accused, "I like it."

He put it in his pocket eagerly and grinned to himself about to walk out the door.

"Ah-ah-ah." His dad said,

"Do I really have to wear the tie?" Alberto groaned.

"No, but I picked these up today."

His dad shuffled into the kitchen and came back with two wristbands with flowers on them. It consisted of yellow sunflowers and another unidentifiable blossom that had been soaked in pink dye.

"Huh. Cool." Luca shrugged, "Wait. What are they for?"

"I'm not entirely sure." His dad replied, "But perhaps you can give one to who ever you dance with. Then you can wear the other and the two of you will match."

"Neat. Luca will love it!"

"Luca?"

"Yes. The one and only."

"Well," At first it looked like Alberto's choice of Luca was disapproved but then his look softened, "I wouldn't have met you if it wasn't for him."

It was times like these where Alberto realized how lucky he was. The first time Alberto had said that outloud though, he was immediately scolded. And it was the nicest scolding he had ever gotten.

I just... feel so lucky that, you know- I have a... dad?

Alberto. It is a priviledge for me to take care of you. Make no mistake. Luck had nothing to do with it. You shouldn't feel lucky. You deserve a father. I am proud to have you in my home, and that is that.

Oh. Okay.

A-are you crying? I am sorry. Giulia says I can be a bit too straight forward.

No, it's just- I was alone for over a year and...

You thought you wouldn't have any family or friends.

...

Alberto, I do not know what happened with your family and I will not ask. I only ask that you understand this is your home. If that is what you want- that is-

Yes!

Alberto hugged him before running to catch the train. He stopped to give one last wave.

He still felt lucky. Especially now as he grinned at the flowers. Luca was going to love this.

Alberto had been told that Luca and Giulia would meet him when he got off. The train ride would be about 45 min. And that gave him plenty of time to wonder. He had a feeling Luca had probably shown kids at school who he was. Afterall, the bullies had to know because of the swirlie that happened. Alberto shivered. Being forced to reveal yourself was terrifying. He just hoped that wasn't the first time they saw Luca like that.