They're Lying to You

// Loki and Sylvie are rescued from Lamentis before the planet is destroyed. Now Loki must figure out how to tell Mobius the truth about the TVA //

~

Loki stared wide-eyed at the portal that had just opened up in front of him and Sylvie. He had finally accepted his death here on Lamentis, but apparently fate had other plans for him.

Standing up as the ground continued to rumble beneath his feet, Loki looked at Sylvie one last time, gave a small nod of his head, and walked through the portal. His vision was blinded for a moment, but when his eyes adjusted, he was greeted with a familiar moustached face.

"Mobius," Loki breathed, relief washing through him, but it was short lived. He could see the disappointment in Mobius' eyes. Throughout his life, Loki had seen that face many times; the face of utter disappointment. He'd seen it from Odin, Frigga and even Thor too many times to count. No matter how much he thought it should affect him, he always brushed it off. He knew he could never spend too long dwelling on it, he was the God of Mischief after all.

But something about Mobius' disappointment in him cut Loki deeper than he thought it could. Perhaps he thought Mobius should be proud of him, it was his idea about the apocalypses that led to them finding the Variant, and if Loki had never followed her into the portal, she wouldn't have been brought into the TVA with him just now. But no matter how much Loki tried to justify it to himself, he knew Mobius wouldn't see it that way.

Loki felt a clamp around his neck, accompanied with a soft click. His hand moved up to touch the collar around his neck, and he looked at Mobius incredulously.

"What's this for?" Loki shot out spitefully, tugging at the collar slightly with his fingers.

Mobius shook his head as he let out a sigh. "I can't trust you Loki, so now I need to take the appropriate measures."

Loki's brows furrowed as his mouth opened slightly in shock, and a moment later, he felt someone gripping each of his arms. He pulled against the guards as much as he could, but they held him in place.

"C'mon." Mobius gestured with his hand for the guards to follow him, towing Loki along with them.

Loki was faintly aware of a group of guards escorting Sylvie away led by hunter B-15, but his mind was racing too fast to even give her another look. Mobius' words kept echoing in Loki's head; I can't trust you. Mobius doesn't trust me. The man that had trusted Loki enough to lead him into not one, but two apocalypses, now didn't trust him enough to not even have the collar on him.

Loki was roughly thrown into the interrogation room Mobius had walked into, and the guards slammed the door, leaving the two alone.

Loki glared at the door that had closed behind him and agitatedly ran a hand over his forehead. He could feel Mobius' gaze on him, but Loki didn't have the heart to even turn to face him. All he could imagine was the disappointment on his face, his eyes darkened by the betrayal he felt.

Mobius sighed from the table he was sitting at. "Loki...would you please sit down. There's a few things to discuss."

"Like what?" Loki whipped around, glaring at the agent and trying not to focus on the hurt in his eyes. "Like how you've chained me up like some street mongrel because you've lost all faith in me?"

"Like how you betrayed me, Loki!" Mobius shot back, standing up from his seat. "How you left me in some store being torn apart by a hurricane to run after a version of yourself to do god knows what!" Mobius' hands were gripping the edge of the table, turning his knuckles white.

Loki stood completely still, having no idea how to respond to Mobius' outburst; every word of what he had said was true, and Loki knew it. He had abandoned the closest thing to a friend he had with the other time agents in an apocalypse.

The time agents...

Loki sighed, and silently walked over to the table and sat down. Mobius remained leaning against the table, glowering at him.

"Fine," Loki conceded. "I did leave you there, but wasn't capturing Sylvie what you wanted to do?"

Mobius looked down at him, confusion mixing with the anger still plastered on his face. "Sylvie?"

"The variant Loki, her name is Sylvie."

Mobius scoffed as he looked away. Taking a deep breath, he sat down opposite Loki. "So what, you followed her so you could recruit her for your schemes? Or maybe she recruited you."

"What? No I-"

"You just can't help yourself can you?" Mobius breathed out. "It's always about you, your self-preservation, your need to cause chaos."

Loki could feel the frustration flaring through him. "Mobius no, just let me-"

Mobius jumped back in before Loki could get another word in. "Y'know the TVA was right about you, they knew-"

"The TVA is lying to you, Mobius!"

Mobius stared at Loki blankly. Silence filled the room.

Loki knew Mobius needed to know the truth. "It's...it's all a lie."

Mobius shook his head in disbelief, a small smirk worming its way onto his lips. "You really will say anything to get your way, won't you?"

Loki let out a frustrated breath. "The TVA, all the Minutemen, it's all a lie, you have to believe me."

"Why should I believe you, huh?" Mobius asked. "All you do is lie, you've told at least 10 lies since we've been here, and I don't think I can take one more."

"You're all variants!" Loki shouted, slamming his hands on the table. "You were kidnapped from the timeline, your memories wiped, and brainwashed. They're lying to you! But I can give your memories back, I know how to now, Sylvie showed me."

Mobius looked away from the god, letting out a shuddering breath. Loki could even swear he saw tears lining his eyes.

Mobius stood up slowly, still not looking at Loki. He turned around to leave, his hand going through his grey hair.

He needs to know, I can't let him keep living a lie.

"Mobius, wait!" Loki flew from his chair and across to Mobius, grabbing his arm to turn him around. "Please just listen to me."

"Y'know what? No! Everyone thought I was crazy to trust you, the God of mischief, and apparently I was! I was crazy to think you could ever change, that you could ever let you guard down enough to allow someone in, to allow someone to care about you!"

Loki's heart thumped in his chest as Mobius' words left his mouth. Did Mobius really care that much about him?

Loki raised his hands to grip Mobius' shoulder, and tried to focus as much as he could, just like Sylvie had said. Penetrate the mind.

"What are you doing, Loki?" Mobius murmured.

"It's not working," Loki said softly to himself. His mind is too strong.

"I don't have time for this," Mobius sighed, and moved to leave.

"No!"

Before he could even think, Loki pulled Mobius back to him by his shoulders, closing the gap between them. Their lips met in a brilliant flash of green as Loki allowed Mobius' mind to open and to remember.

Loki's hands moved from Mobius' shoulders to his neck, his hand weaving through the man's grey hair. Mobius sunk into the kiss happily, wrapping his arms around Loki's waist and holding him tightly.

Loki realised he could allow someone to care about him. And he cared about that person just as much.

Mobius tenderly pulled away from the kiss, Loki still in his embrace.

"Wow."

~

A/N: So, the beautiful comic at the top of this oneshot was drawn by my friend, and I think it's absolutely beautiful