Not the Only One

// Loki and Mobius have dismantled the TVA, allowing all the variants to regain their memories and choose how they will live their life from now on. Mobius remembers his family, and decides he needs to see them again //

~

Loki stared down at the TemPad in his hands; it was Mobius', having been thrown across the room during the fight they had just endured. Loki now held it in his hands, and his breath hitched as he read the date that Mobius had last typed in; Saturday July 1st, 1995.

When Loki had restored Mobius' memories, something about that date had stood out to him, he could almost feel what Mobius was feeling in that moment, a sense of peace and happiness. Something Loki hadn't felt in a long time, until he met Mobius. Loki nearly jumped when he felt a hand rest in his shoulder, his heart still racing after defending his life against the corrupt TVA.

"It's over, Loki," Mobius' calming voice came from behind him. He continued to stare at the date on the TemPad, not turning to face the time agent. "We can relax."

Loki's head shot up, and he swivelled himself around to look at Mobius. "It seems you were already making plans to relax," he stated calmly as he showed Mobius the TemPad, trying not to let his emotions overwhelm him.

Mobius looked from Loki to the device a few times, confused, until he finally realised what Loki was referring to. "Right...that."

"Were you planning on running off, then?" Loki asked, his voice raising slightly. "Leaving to enjoy your life, away from me?"

Mobius sighed, looking down at his feet. "I...I was never going to run off," he started to explain.

"So, what was it you were planning on doing then?" Loki's voice cracked pitifully as he spoke, his overwhelming emotions getting the better of him.

Loki fully expected Mobius to shout at him, grab the TemPad, or argue back in some way, but he wasn't prepared when Mobius lifted his head, revealing a single tear rolling down his cheek. The sight made Loki feel as though he had swallowed a rock.

"Mobius, I..." Loki breathed softly, taking a step closer to him.

Mobius looked down at the TemPad, anguish filling his eyes. "After you gave my memories back to me, that was the first thing I thought of; a weekend holiday with my family."

Family.

The word cut through Loki like a dagger.

Mobius had a family. He had someone he loved, someone that meant the world to him, and it wasn't Loki.

Mobius continued. "I wanted to put that date in, in case anything happened and I forgot. I just..." he sighed, wiping the tear from his cheek. "I just want to see them again."

Loki felt the prick of tears forming in his eyes, but he refused to let them fall, to let Mobius see how the thought of another family waiting for him affected Loki.

Every part of Loki told him no, Mobius belongs here, he had to keep him by his side. But Loki had never felt this way about anyone before. He never thought it was possible for him to care so deeply about another person in this way. And he knew that he would do anything to bring that feeling of peace and happiness back to Mobius, even at the expense of breaking his own heart.

"Then you should get to see them," Loki forced out, his hands gripping the TemPad a little more tightly. "You deserve to see them, Mobius."

Seeing the smile on Mobius' face was enough the reassure Loki that this was the right thing to do, and he hit the button that would open up a glowing golden portal to their desired destination. Loki looked back up at Mobius; he was staring at the portal, wide-eyed and uncertain.