CHAPTER 5

Song: Moondust - EP Version by Jaymes Young

*******************************************************************

Killian

The snowstorm lasted for three days. Theros wandered home at one point when it wasn't as heavy. He proceeded to hole up in my room, sharing all of the bloody details of his latest female conquest. After a while I got sick of the story and sent him off to his own lair. He laughed at me, calling me a prude. I shoved him out the door with a crude gesture.

Roux was good company during that time. She would stop by between duties, albeit she didn't have many since our city was silent. The storm swept everyone into the homes and hideaways, much like mice at the sound of footsteps.

She would chat about anything and everything, clean the already pristine room, and eventually she allowed me to coerce her into playing cards. Besides Jack, she was my dearest friend, like a sister. I thank Sancta Mater for her, every chance I get.

As soon as the snow ended, I was out on my horse with Jack again, overseeing the clearing efforts. Horses were hitched up to plows and men were brushing the sidewalks and streets. Snow was loaded into wagons, then taken to the station to be loaded onto railcars. There was just too much of it.

Our city was expansive. I assigned teams to each of the seven districts, besides the Caelesti grounds. It would take several days to completely clear them, as long as the weather held. Hopefully citizens would get out and help if they were able, but those who were able usually didn't want to, and the rest didn't have the means.

My back aches from the hours of shoveling and brushing. The horses are tiring from trying to plow more than two feet of snow. We've barely made a dent in the towering drifts. Jack is sweating mercilessly, his coat long discarded, tossed over the back of his horse. The sun is low in the sky, darkness coming rapidly, "Alright, enough of this. Go home," I call out, leaning heavily against the shovel I have.

There's a chorus of groans and moans as they all stop what they're doing and stretch. It's only briefly, and soon they've gathered their things and scattered, going home to their loved ones. The thought of having to go home to Lady Kinsley one day sickens me.

Jack must see the look of disgust on my face, "What's your problem?"

"My father informed me that I've been betrothed to Lady Kinsley," I growl.

"Lady Kinsley? That's cruel. I mean, it's smart, but cruel."

I gather up some stray shovels and set them in a pile against the nearest building, "How could that be considered smart? We would be miserable. Well, maybe she wouldn't as long as I let her do what she pleased, but I would be miserable."

"Eventually she'd grow sick of you and find a new toy to play with. Maybe even your own brother."

I laugh bitterly, "And knowing Theros, he wouldn't care. I can just see the scandal now. I'd be made a laughing stock."

Jack retrieves his coat and quickly covers back up, now that he isn't working the cold settles in, "I do see the logic in it though. Governor Parks is your toughest critic. Binding yourself to his daughter would shut him up pretty quickly."

"So would removing him."

Jack barks out a laugh, "Sure, as long as you're willing to remove everyone who criticizes you after that. As soon as you do something that drastic, there's no coming back. Every time someone dissents, you'll be expected to follow through."

I roll up my sleeves, still dripping sweat and running so hot steam rolls off of me. I stand next to him as he mounts his mare, "You don't think I can live up to that?"