Turned deep dive: Joshua Corrington

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR TURNED BTW!!!

So Joshua is a character that I have mixed feelings on.

Let's start out with the obvious: he was good until he wasn't. I think this is a theme with a lot of Elizabeth's experiences, and I was very conflicted about kind of "ruining" the one good thing she had going for her.

For me, the main reason I chose to have his alcoholism and abusive tendencies revealed was to push Elizabeth towards Tom. Even though it is blatantly obvious that Joshua is the better choice for her, Elizabeth feels more comfortable in the familiarity of how consistently terrible Tom is. She feels like she knows who he is and won't be surprised or hurt when he does turn on her. The shock of Joshua hurting her kind of activated her flight or fight mode, and she chose to stay with what was familiar.

Joshua is kind of who I wanted Elizabeth to be when I originally thought up the story. I wanted her to be confident, self-assured, and charming. However, after developing her backstory a little more and realizing she definitely was not a Gryffindor, I wrote Joshua.

Joshua is a brave leader, and he is the picture of what a Gryffindor should be. He does have his bad sides, but I think those are obvious enough to where I can just focus on the positives for now.

He is a trusting individual, and this is most clear when he is confronted with the possibility that Elizabeth is befriending Tom Riddle. Joshua makes it clear that he doesn't trust him, but he trusts Elizabeth. This kind of trust is unfamiliar to Elizabeth, so I think that's also why she takes advantage of it.

Joshua is the perfect match for Elizabeth because they don't understand each other at all, but at the same time fit together like a puzzle. He knows about Baxtart's, but doesn't try to prod into Elizabeth's past and allows her to become the person she always wanted to be.

Here's some fun info about Joshua now because I love thinking about my characters hahah

Primary character traits:
• Confident
• Kind
• Brave
• Self-assured

Flaws:
• Alcoholic
• Abusive tendencies
• Oblivious

Other info:
• Sun sign: Taurus
• Favorite color: Royal blue
• Favorite place: The Quidditch pitch
• Favorite drink: Butterbeer
• Favorite wizarding snack: Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans
• Favorite Muggle snack: Hasn't tried any
• Favorite subject: Charms
• Least favorite subject: Potions

If he had favorite songs today it would probably be these
We Are The Champions by Queen
Smokin' In The Boys Room by Mötley Crüe
Tom Sawyer by Rush
My Kind of Woman by Night Beds
Vienna by Billy Joel