The Lotus in the Mud

"I refuse."

"Wangji, you never know. You may like him."

"Not leaving you, Brother."

"Wangji - ah, it's for our clan. Besides, you could always come back if it doesn't work! You know Uncle Qiren will never let anyone do anything to his favourite nephew. Besides, Mother  has met Young Master Wei before, and she likes him! "

"Lan rules detest favouritism. Uncle would never break them. Father said the boy is unruly. He would not fit in."

"Oh come on, Wangji! Treat it like a vacation to Yunmeng! Also, I've heard Young Master Wei is very friendly. If you don't wish to marry him, at least you'll make a friend."

"I have you, Mother and Father."

At this point, Lan Xichen was tired of his brother's argument. A usually obedient Wangji was being unusually apprehensive towards the wedding proposal sent for him by Yunmeng Jiang.

All Wangji wanted was to be a good brother and support to Xichen. He did realise that marrying into Yunmeng Jiang would give him significant power and influence, so he could help his brother more. However, he wasn't ready to marry a man he barely knew. As a compromise, Yunmeng Jiang had invited Wangji to be their guest for a month.

Wangji did intend to go, but he was just making sure the path he was going along had leeway for return. After much argument, he gave in.

The Lans, especially Wangji's mother,  wanted to send off Wangji with a huge procession, but he vehemently refused. Why make a hue and cry when he was only going to visit? In the end, he chose two Lan disciples to accompany him.

And so they set off. It was a long journey, but Wangji insisted they hurry. The faster they reached there, the quicker he could complete 30 days at Yunmeng, and in conclusion, he would be home soon.

The other two disciples assumed this haste to be excitement. Lan Zian frequently teased Wangji about how he behaved akin to an excited husband. Wangji didn't have the strength to correct him.

They arrived at Yunmeng a day earlier than anticipated. Wangji considered waiting out a night in an inn, just in case they seemed rude. After much thought, he had realised that no matter how he hated being there, he would have to be polite and upright in accordance with Gusu Lan Principles.

They found an inn near the Yunmeng Jiang Clan's Lotus Pavilion, and booked three rooms. After a light meal in almost silence (Lan Zian couldn't keep quiet about his pregnant wife and how they were still deciding between Jingyi and Jinsong for his name), Lan Wangji decided to take a walk along the lakeside which lay behind the inn.

The evening sunlight shone brightly upon the lake water. The lotuses in Yunmeng bloomed, beautiful and fresh. It was a truly peaceful view, undisturbed and silent. An occasional dragonfly would buzz around, breaking the monotony. Wangji could get used to this.

Suddenly, Wangji heard a loud splash from somewhere. He decided to follow the sound and find the source of his disturbed peace.

As he walked faster, figures appeared in the water. Maybe they were the local Yunmeng boys. On closer inspection, though, they seemed to be cultivators. Their swords lay on shore, along with their purple clan robes. They were frolicking in the water, chests bare, picking lotus pods and eating lotus seeds.

The whole view was very new to Wangji, and normally he would have walked away with disdain at how loud these disciples were being. Gusu Lan rules revered silence and peace, not the cacophony that was these rowdy teenagers. However, Wangji stayed rooted in place.

It is said that the eye of the storm is the calmest part of it. Wangji had, in this moment, realised how true that was. For, in the middle of this noisy disarray, stood the most beautiful boy Lan Wangji had ever seen.