Chapter Thirty-Eight: A Merry Birthday

Imelda gracefully took the pearl earrings from the navy blue box while I stared back to myself from the mirror, I put a hand to my chest and breathe in deeply while Andrea and Sophie busied themselves with my hair and corset. I bit down on my lower lip with fidgeting hands as my mind flooded itself with innumerable thoughts though I could only wish for it to stop.

The sound of the instruments from outside echoed throughout the room while I fought back the urge to run away. I flinched back after feeling the cold pearls make contact beneath my skin, "You look pallor, lady (y/n)." Andrea commented while she stroke the soft brush to my cheek with its powder.

"I know you hate events, lady (y/n) but you must do this for the prince. He'd be surely in joy to see his lovely wife!" Imelda raised my chin up high, explaining to me with a smile plastered on their faces as they whispered sweet nothings in a hush. "Of course...yes, you're right." I replied back with the lies coming at flow.

I turned around while they stared with their aweing and mesmerized eyes, "You look lovely, my lady!" Imelda said with her head resting to her clasped hands in exaggeration that made me chuckle. I smoothened out the wrinkles of my ballgown and adjusted the pearl necklace and with a long sigh, I nod my head and left my chamber.

Andrea and Sophie left while Imelda followed from behind. I beckoned her to come forward as she bow her head and walked hastily to my side, "Is there something the matter, lady (y/n)?" she questioned with a raised brow. "How is mother and father? Are they doing well? I wrote them a letter a few days ago after the incident but they seemed to have ignored me." I frowned, waiting for an answer to my inquiry while Imelda stared at me with a perplexed expression.

"But my lady...they did wrote back. I even sent the letter to the mail myself!" Imelda answered and gazed down to the floor with her index finger touching her chin, she turned back to me and shrugged both of her shoulders "I think it just got lost in the mail, lady (y/n)."

"Is that so...well how come they haven't wrote back another one before your arrival? It's been weeks." I asked once more, starting to worry over how they are. No one knows how scheming of a man Nikolas could be, especially my own family. "I suppose they're still upset over their last visit, your highness. I heard they're fighting to get you away from the prince and a divorce." Imelda sighed, stretching her back while I listened. "I see..."

"My dearest (y/n), what took you so long?" asked Nikolas as I looked up to meet his eyes while he impatiently tapped his shoe on the ground. He looked at me up and down, slowly softening his aggravated look. "You look beautiful, (y/n)." Nikolas complimented, I gazed at Imelda who had stepped back inches away with eyes glued on the floor.

"You flatter me, Nikolas." I let out a slight chuckle, wanting to slap his hand away from stroking my cheek. "Shall we?" Nikolas raised a brow, I nod my head in reply and wrapped my arm around his. We went down the stairs, all pressuring eyes darted back at me with a distant whispering as we ascended to the ballroom floor.

"This is my wife, (y/n) Stormbore. I'm glad that you had made it today, earl Ainsley." Nikolas introduced me to a dashing man in front of us as I curtsied. "I am Markus Ainsley, your royal highness. Pleased to make your acquaintance." Earl Ainsley touched my palm, his lip inches away from the back of my hand. Nikolas snatched my wrist away and forced a smile to his scowling look.

Nikolas turned to me and withdrew my hand further, "Shall we meet the other guests, my dearest (y/n)?" Nikolas asked. His expression didn't seem to want a no for an answer as I nod my head, avoiding to cause any scene in front of the guests.

He pulled me away while I excused us from the earl. My eyes lingered around, with each guests greeting Nikolas a happy birthday while they ignored me. He seemed to be quite a charmer amongst these people and they seemed to like him, while others didn't seem too fond of his charming looks. He was like a different man, someone he portrays in front of the people he cons, how I wish they knew how unhinged his mind is.

He squeezed my hand tightly, not letting me stray away from his side while he socialized with the others. My eyes wandered off once more, the golden chandeliers emitting through my eyes with their wonderful lights and shimmering crystals that hung from above. My eyes suddenly laid on a certain person as he drank his wine while he listened to the chatter of a woman, he nod his head and glanced back at me at the corner of his eye.

Aleksander looked away after seconds and drank his wine dry and left, disappearing out of my sight. Music began to play as the people laughed and giggled with their partners gliding them across the center of the ballroom to dance. "Shall we dance, my dearest (y/n)?" asked Nikolas, taking me by the hand and pulling me forward before I could even let out a protest.

He snaked his hand around my waist and sway side to side, making eye contact with each while we danced. He twirled me around in unison with the others and pulled me back, his penetrating gaze making me unable to look away. "Nikolas." I called his name in a whisper, "What is it, my dearest (y/n)." he replied back with a raised brow.

"I know what you're doing to my family." I confessed, memorizing the steps from my dance with Aleksander from before. I dipped my body down and was met with a smirking Nikolas, "I had no other choice, my dearest (y/n). They were getting in the way," Nikolas glared, mumbling those last words but loud enough for me to hear.

He pulled me back, our lips brushing against each other. We spun around as he buried his head to my neck, laying soft kisses while I tensed my shoulders. "And soon they will meet their inevitable faith." Nikolas bit down on my neck, making me yelp quietly with wide eyes. I pushed him back and furrowed my brows, trying my best to look calmer in the face of every individuals.

"I married you to prevent that from happening, Nikolas." I snapped, unable to hide the hoarse tone of my voice. Nikolas seemed unfazed of my reaction as he only caressed my cheek and pulled me closer, "I told you, my dearest (y/n). No one gets in my way."

"You--!"

I was stopped from my cursing insults after a switch, I was snatched by strong arms as I looked up to see Aleksander's eyes looking down at me. "Aleksander..." was the only words I could utter out with a silence gasp. I tilt my head to the side to meet eyes with Nikolas who seemed to be in disbelief while he danced with another maiden, the lady that I had saw Aleksander chatting with from earlier.

"Is something the matter, lady (y/n)?" asked Aleksander, feeling more familiar with the waltz as I followed his lead with a natural flow. "I want my husband dead, Aleksander." I glared, looking at him with pure sincerity hinting on my eyes.

Nikolas came closer, with a hand trying to catch me. Aleksander backed away, spinning with me as we avoided bumping with the other dancers. "I believe there's always an alternative than being a mariticide, lady (y/n)." Aleksander brushed off my point of view as he pulled me away and out of Nikolas's reach.

I spun around and was caught by Nikolas's grasps with Aleksander stumbling back from behind. "What do you think you're doing, my dearest (y/n)?" Nikolas questioned, keeping his tranquil voice at bay with arms that clenched on me tightly as if I was a running mouse.

"Wishing for hell to drag you back."

"Then hell shall our new kingdom be, my dearest."