Lover

(LOK universe, Book 4, Fluff)

Korra sat down at a table at Varrick and Zhu Li's wedding. She sighed as other guests continued to dance and socialize. 

She hasn't properly sat down to take in everything that has happened since the battle with Kuvira and her army, and she didn't want to.

She tried avoiding her feelings to the best of her ability, to make sure no one gets hurt or nothing gets in the way of Avatar duty, but what now?

Ever since she went back home to heal, she took the time to understand her emotions, and since Asami started writing to her, she only felt comfortable talking to her.

Now don't get it wrong, she trusts Mako and Bolin, but there were things that only Asami would understand, or that she trusts her more with her secrets.

Why did she feel that way? Well, there wasn't a clear answer for her, but when she was away she also realized something else.

She likes Asami.

Korra never told anyone about it. She was scared too. Same-sex couples in the South weren't a thing. If it was, it was accepted by some, but not all.

Plus, she doesn't even know if Asami likes girls like that anyways.

"Hey there, all-mighty Avatar."

The avatar looked over to see Kya sitting beside her at the table. She flashed a friendly smile and saw an expression that was well known to her. 

"Is there something troubling you?" Her voice grew quiet. 

Korra's shoulders dropped. "Kya, have you ever liked someone but you're too afraid to tell them?"

The waterbender thought for a second then nodded. "Yeah, that happened a lot. Why'd you ask?" 

She looked around to see Asami talking to Zhu Li and Opal at a table. Her heart fluttered at the sight of her.

She turned to Kya and then whispered, "I think I like Asami,"

Kya only looked at her with the same expression on her face.

"You're just figuring that out now?"

Korra stammered, her face red. "W-what do you mean by that?" She whispered-yelled.

The older woman shrugged. "I can tell," she stated simply. "Besides, it was evident before you left for the South. The way you looked at her, the way you-"

"Okay, okay!" Korra sighed. "I wanna ask her out, do you think she'll accept me?"

Kya hummed. "You should try and see for yourself," she stood up and patted her on the back. "She'll probably say yes anyway."

Then she walked away.

Korra looked at her lap, closed her eyes, and sighed. She took a few moments to take a breath and let it out, then she got up and walked to Asami's table, sitting beside her.

"Hey, Korra! You enjoying yourself?" She smiled.

The girls' hands started to fidget under the table. "Yeah, I am," she met Asami's eyes. "Are you?"

The older woman smiled. "Yeah. I'm glad we got to relax for a bit, especially to celebrate those two." She motioned to Varrick and Zhu Li, dancing, with Varrick doing some kind of chicken dance and Zhu Li looking in disappointment, but also in awe.

Korra chuckled. "I'm happy for them," she proclaimed. "I hope Zhu Li is ready for constant headaches though."

Asami laughed. "He isn't that bad," she stopped for a moment and looked at Korra, who was giving her a look that has disbelief written all over. "Okay, maybe he is that bad, but when he's focused, he's pretty quiet."

Korra nodded in understanding. She wasn't very familiar with Varrick besides him backstabbing her, but she does believe that he's a good guy at heart.

Then, the music changed to a slower tempo, with a simple beat. Couples and friends soon gathered on the dance floor to sway with the beat.

Korra looked at the crowd and mentally sighed. Then, she drew a breath and looked at Asami.

"Hey, can I ask you something?"

Asami flashed a friendly grin. "Can I also ask you something?"

Korra started to fidget with her hands and looked down. She then drew a deep breath in and slowly let it out.

"Asami, would you like to dance with me?"

She looked up to see Asami with a surprised expression on her face.

"Was that too much? I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have-"

"No, it's okay!" Asami exclaimed, gently putting her hand over Korra's. "I was going to ask the same question."

Korra raised her eyebrows. "The Asami Sato wants to dance with me?"

She nodded.

The Avatar smiled and got up, lending a hand to Asami, who gladly took it and walked to the dance floor.

They saw a few of their friends dancing in the crowd, Mako with Wu, Kya with Lin, Tenzin with Pema, Bolin with Opal, and of course, Varrick with Zhu Li.

As soon as they got to a small space, Korra still held Asami's hand and wrapped her other arm around her waist.

"Is this okay?"

Asami smiled. "Yeah, for me it is, you?"

Korra returned the smile. "Of course I'm okay," she slowly started swaying with the music. "I'm with everyone, especially you. I'm happy to be here."

She smiled in return. "So what are your plans after all of this?"

Korra shrugged. "I might just go on vacation for a little while. I know I was gone for a while but hey, getting off work is getting off work."

Asami nodded. "I might go on vacation as well, I need time to be away from the city. I've been cooped up here for too long that I'm starting to think Raiko is a good leader."

The other woman laughed. "Well, maybe you can come with me? Where would you want to go?"

"Hmm," She hummed in response. "I always wanted to see what the spirit world was like,"

Korra smiled. "Sounds perfect."

Her dancing partner smiled back, slowly swaying to the music, as she quickly pecked Korra on the cheek, causing her to blush and making her eyes go wide in shock.

Asami giggled at Korra's reaction, as her face turned red and her lips slowly turned into a grin.

"Can I kiss you?" She asked the woman in her arms.

She nodded and slowly leaned in, their lips connecting as the world around them disappears.

They soon pulled away, with Korra thinking that it was a dream while Asami was speechless that the Avatar, the strongest person on Earth, just kissed her.

"So...does this mean we're together?"

Asami quickly kissed Korra on the lips again and locked eyes.

"Does that mean we're together?"

Korra looked away and cleared her throat. "I mean...I do want to be but...if you don't want to, then that's okay."

Asami's expression softened.

"I want to be with you."

She put her head on Korra's shoulder, ignoring some of the guests staring at them.

"Thank you, Asami,"

She brought her head back up. "Why are you saying thank you?"

Korra looked into her eyes and smiled. 

"For dancing with me."