Song 15 ♫ Nip This Feeling in the Bud

"What took you so long?" Quinta asked when I finally joined our table again.

"Nothing."

Another lie. Far too much had happened in the course of a few minutes.

One of those was that I now wanted to puke.

"You took a long time in there," Dawn said, narrowing her eyes at me. "Is everything okay?"

At my non-answer, Mom turned to a waiter and asked for a glass of water for me. That was a blessing, because now I was too sober to keep drinking and too scared of losing control again, I needed all the help I could get to perk back up.

I tried texting Tae Yang that I was back with the people I'd come with, but no matter how long I waited there was no response back from him. Based on what I knew from him, he would follow in his word to a T and would probably be here in a few minutes.

And then what?

The ladies would find out what had just happened. They'd meet Tae Yang in the flesh.

Shit, I needed a drink to cope with all that. Instead, I gulped down the glass of water and chomped on the ice.

"I don't know about y'all but I'm hungry," Quinta announced. "And it looks like Cecilia used up our table's luck for the night."

Ya don't say, I thought.

"I support the motion." Dawn grabbed her purse and stood up. "I feel like I could eat a whole pizza by myself. With some wings. And fries."

"Ooh, definitely fries," Quinta said.

"I want pasta," Mom declared, lacing an arm with me. "With meatballs."

I gave a watery smile. "Whatever you want, ladies. It's on me."

They cheered, and for a moment I was glad I could pretend nothing was amiss for a little longer.

When we were settled in the restaurant, waiting for our orders, I texted Tae Yang again to call off the cavalry—but before I sent the text message, someone showed up at our table and made me look up.

I thought it would be Tae Yang. Instead, it was the same asshole as before.

He leaned on our table, laughing. "Where's your hotshot boyfriend then?"

Quinta frowned. "Excuse me, what do you think you're doing?"

"Stay out of this grandma, this is between her and I."

Quinta spluttered. "Grandma?"

"Y a éste qué le pasa?" Mom shouted.

Through gritted teeth, I said, "There is no you and I, pal."

Dawn snapped her fingers. "Security! Security!"

"There's no need," a new voice said. Every cell in my body vibrated as I turned around and saw Tae Yang striding across the restaurant towards us. His eyes shot lasers at the bully. "Hey buddy, I thought we had an agreement."

The asshole left our table while cracking his knuckles. He was so much burlier than Tae Yang and could probably flatten the younger guy. Yet, nowhere in Tae Yang's expression was the fear I felt.

Everyone in the restaurant tensed up as the two men faced each other.

Quinta broke the quiet by asking, very loudly, "What the hell is going on?"

The middle-aged guy started laughing. "So, instead of having a good time with me, you want me to believe that this scrawny kid is your boyfriend?"

My last braincell finally snapped and I said, "I don't have to prove shit to you!"