Chapter 1: New Beginning

Feeling Good: Nina Simone

    Peace and quiet was a rare thing to experience, so I planned to make it worth every second, however long it lasted. Sitting alone in the empty cafeteria with my coffee in one hand, book in the other, I let my mind wander now that my last case was over.

    "How did I know that I'd find you in here?"

    "Maybe because I'm always in here?" I remark.

    "Last I checked, I don't pay you to sit around."

    "You don't pay me."

    "Touche."

     I set my book down and look up at Mobius standing by my table. "How'd the mission go?"

    "A bust." He sighs. "Variant was already long gone before we got there. Reset charge as well."

    "Mobius, that's the sixth attack this week." I point out.

    He nods, looking down at the table. "Well," He claps his hands together and the somber expression is immediately wiped away as he gets right back to business. "Your relaxing time is over." He grabs my coffee from me and throws it in the trash.

     "Hey! I wasn't finished with that!"

     He ignores me and continues. "There's a trial going on right now and if you want me to train you so badly then I suggest you hurry up."

    "Trial of who?" I grumble, slumped in my seat.

    "Loki."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Mobius leads the way through the already ongoing trial. We sneak our way to a bench as a version of the Variant Loki is standing forth, talking of nonsense.

    "How do you plead!" Renslayer asks, growing frustrated at the Trickster's attempts to... trick.

    "Guilty..." He raises his arms to the sides, "of this." He clenches his fists then stands there, nothing happened. He tries again, with the same result.

    "What's going on?" Renslayer asks.

    "Hang on. Everyone quiet." Loki continues trying as the small audience begins to laugh.

     "He's trying to use his powers ma'am," I stand, explaining. Renslayer looks in the audience, seeing Mobius and I part of it, then sighs.

     "Don't rush me," Loki instructs. With one last try, he bangs his hands on the bars. "Damn it! Why won't it work?!"

     "Magic powers?" I go on. "They're no good in the TVA, Mr. Laufeyson." Loki turns around to see me, glaring while doing so which I return with a smirk.

     "Thank you, T-27." Renslayer interrupts, giving me a look.

      I sit back down and Mobuis leans over. "Hey, remember what I said last time?"

    "Let you do the talking," I respond.

    "Would you look at that? You do have a brain." He scolds.