Chapter 3: Colleagues

Who's Sorry Now: Connie Francis

      I walk in between the rows of desks with two cups in my hands. "One for you," I say while handing Loki his cup, "and one for me."

     He looks at it then towards me. "What is this?"

      "Only one of the best inventions from Earth, a frappuccino." I answer, motioning for him to scoot over so I can sit across from him. He does so and hesitantly takes a sip from the drink. His eyes go wide causing me to smile as he drinks more. "So, where were we?" I ask.

       Loki looks up from his drink. "Nexus events." He says with his mouth full.

      "Right. Okay, and when that nexus event branches past the red line...?" He shrugs then stars messing with things on my desk.

     "Come on Loki, I got you a drink now be nice. What happens?"

      "Very bad things."

      "Loki are you even paying attention?" I look up from my sheet and see him with headphones on. "Hey! Is that my walkman?"

     "Is that what this is?" He holds the walkman up, examining it. "It's nice, has good music."

      I begin to grow irritated. "Yeah, I know, 'cause it's mine."

      He hums to himself then glances over with a smirk on his face. "You know what, I think I might borrow this."

      "Loki, give it back" I demand. He ignores me so I lunge for my device.

        He's too quick and holds it high above his head, making me lean out of my seat to try and reach. "What song is this, Dream a Dream...?"

      "1992's Dream a Little Dream of Me by The Mamas and The Papas. Now give it back. I will not tell you again."

     "Ooo. Now I can see why Mobius took you in, you got fire." He teases. With this, I snap, grabbing the walkman and elbowing him in the face while doing so. I slump back into my seat as he gently rubs his cheek. "Where did you get that in the first place?" He asks, groaning.

      I give my walkman a quick check-over then place it back into one of my drawers. "They had one lying around from earth and said I could have it. Can we get back to work now?" I sigh. Loki adjusts himself, silently agreeing. "Thank you. Now, what happens with the nexus event passing the red line?"

      "The TVA can no longer reset a nexus event. Okay? Boring." He leans back and grabs a magazine that was laying around.

     "Loki, pay attention." I repeat, exhausted.

    "Come on. I can even tell you hate this." He says, flipping through it. I don't answer. "Let's go have some fun, I'm sure there's plenty of things to do here."

    I shake my head shutting it down before I get any ideas. "Mobius told us to go over nexus events." Loki mumbles to himself as I look back down to see what we need to do next. There's a moment of silence before I feel something tap my head. Looking up, Loki has the magazine rolled up in his hands. "Did you just-?" He taps the tip of my nose, grinning. I reach over and grab another magazine from my desk and roll it up, tapping him as well. Not expecting that, he gets taken back for a moment. The look of surprise on his face causes me to chuckle but it's not long before he quickly retaliates, hitting me on my head. We then go back and forth with the magazines, some with more force than the others.

     "Training going well?" A voice interrupts.

     Loki and I look up to see Mobius walking and quickly get back into our seats. "Uh-yeah-!"