S I X T E E N

"You and (Y/N) are looking nice and cozy tonight."

"It's been great Sam, I think she's finally starting to trust me," Steve smiled following Sam through the crowd and up the long staircase that led to the indoor balcony overlooking the living room still overflowing with Tony's guests. 

Steve didn't like the idea of leaving (Y/N) all alone, knowing she didn't really know anyone here, but figured he would be able to at least keep an eye on her from this new view of the ongoing party. With the exception of Tony, (Y/N) seemed to fit in well with most people he introduced her too. He knew she had some kind of strange bond he didn't quite understand with Peter already, and from what he could tell, she seemed to be clicking with Nat as well. He had watched as (Y/N) made an effort to get to know all of his friends. She had smiled, laughed, and even cracked a few jokes. He couldn't help but feel a small sense of pride knowing that (Y/N) had taken an interest in his personal life. 

"I have to say it's nice seeing you have to work so hard for a girl," Sam chuckled as Steve leaned on the railing of the balcony, "it's a good change of pace from watching most of them fall at your feet."

Sam continued to laugh and smirk, clapping Steve on the back.

"I don't mind the work, I'm just glad she's finally starting to let me in," Steve replied.

"Are you going to talk to her about changing the whole 'just friends' thing? Don't get me wrong, I can see why you want to take things slow and not pressure her but I mean come on. Friends don't look at friends the way you both look at each other."

"Honestly, I don't know..." Steve sighed, turning to face Sam directly. 

"After everything that happened last time I started dating someone, I didn't see myself getting back out there anytime soon. When I saw her in that bar the night we met she looked so sad and I just wanted to give her some company, maybe make her smile again. But the more I talked to her the more I began to see how amazing she was and then one thing led to another..." Steve trailed off a little and Sam turned to face the crowd of party goers, while nodding at Steve in understanding. 

"When she left that morning, I thought it was over for sure. But now she's back and with everything that's happened I can't help but feel like we are meant to be more than friends. I know it sounds stupid when I say it out loud..." Steve shook his head sadly.

"I don't think it's stupid. You've gotta fight for what you want. Anyone with eyes can see that you are both starting to care for each other, but you and I both know nothing is ever going to happen if you don't take the first step. Sometimes people need a little... push," Sam stated, poking Steve's shoulder, emphasizing his last word. He paused for a moment, taking a sip of his drink and scanning the living room and taking in the scene before continuing. 

"And I know things didn't work out so great the last time you tried dating in the twenty-first century, but that doesn't mean things will end badly this time around. Speaking of you-know-who... have you told (Y/N) about what happened with that devil woman yet?"

"No, why?"

"Because she's over there talking to her right now."

----------- 

"I can't believe Steve brought her here."

Turning slightly to hide your face from the group's view, you listened as the blonde girl continued to talk about you to her friends. 

"I heard that when they first met she pretended like she didn't know who he was and then pitied him into letting her stay the night. It's pathetic, really."