01|Assassination Attempt

Anakin was no pilot.

At least he was no fighter pilot. He was far more at ease flying his sleek and fast diplomatic  shuttle. A miniature of the one he was flying.

Silver polished to a high shine. It was seemingly weak protection for the high-ranking personage within. A man whose voice could be heard over the drums of war calling for cool heads and calm and peace.

Such a voice carrying a message of anti-war, anti-corruption had created a target on the Senator's back. He loathed the protection everyone insisted he have because of the target. Over his objections though it was always forced upon him.

The Senator could fight and limit the protection though. He has fought and won this fight limiting those who traveled with him to the pilot and co-pilot of the ship, a pair of bodyguards, and two starfighters that flew escort. One of which was him.

When he was flying his shuttle space seemed distant. Further away even as he flew among the stars. In the fighter it looked closer, scarier. It even looked colder than what he had once told a young girl it was.

A girl. She too had flown a Naboo Starfighter. Not as peaceful guardian on the way to the center of the galactic government. She had flown her fighter into battle.

Fierce, fast, and hot battle. Laser had flown at her with crackling aim. At one point she had been forced to land in the hangar of the droid control ship that hovered in space over Naboo. Yet she had regarded the deadly battle over the lovely planet as no more dangerous than the podraces he would take part in; racing across the desert as Tuskins took pot-shots at his pod or other racers tried to take him out.

His thoughts drifted often to the girl. Only she was no longer a girl whose hopes had run high. Now she was a woman. A beautiful young woman strong and tall. A warrior who risked her life to protect others on a regular basis.

It wasn't hard to catch glimpses of her though he had not actually seen her since the ceremony after the Battle of Naboo ten standards years ago. She appeared often enough on the Holonet News. It seemed that the Jedi were often on the news as they changed their code and took a more active part in the galaxy.

She would be there, in those slightly fuzzy clips standing behind her Master and Master's Master. The very image of what others thought a Senior Padawan of the Jedi Order should be. Power visibly stirring just below the surface with an outward appearance of peace and calm. 

By the young woman's side on those newscast was another Padawan. A young man who always looked as though he was trying to hide from the cameras. His head was kept down, his hood usually up.

Unlike the young woman, the young man was smaller and timid. Not the image of a Senior Padawan, more like the shy and noble servant.

The pair stood so close. She always in front and protective of him while their Masters did the talking. Always so loving and gentle with him. As if... It could be, but the Order didn't change their rules about relationships, attachments. It couldn't be...

He shook his head. He couldn't let himself think like that. Even if she felt the same way that he often thought he felt about her, it would be hard to work out such a relationship if not impossible. Their lives and duty pulled them too often in two very separate directions. He could wish, daydream; but in the end he knew it was an impossible wish. An unreachable dream.

"Begin descent to Coruscant. Just like we practiced." The voice broke over his com and he quickly shook any lingering thoughts of her out of his head. He needed to be on top of his game.

 He needed to be on top of his game