Chapter 1

Chapter 1 is done! DarkRosetheHero

The cell was cold and dark and damp.  No one cared to say hello.  Or How are you doing? Oh, how about that demon that almost killed everyone?  Nope, had to learn from gossiping guards.  Bastards.

His own father, who had supposedly been freed from the amber by the princess, had yet to see him.  It was as if the world had forgotten him and that he was merely an invisible spirit that was held there against his will.  As if he was dead, or just never existed to begin with.

He was alone, that much he knew.  He never got the chance to apologize, or even redeem himself.  There was a time that he begged to see Rapunzel, his father, Eugene, and his first love, Cassandra.  No one came.  The guards probably didn't even send his requests or pleads.  Instead, they just left him to rot in a cell, behind a wooden door.

But those days were gone.  The kingdom would face the consequences of using, abusing, and ignoring him.  They would pay the price of all the pain and suffering he did.  He would bring all of Corona to their knees, and the kingdom would fall.  Revenge was his to claim.

To gain what he deserved, it all starts with getting out.  Luckily, he had a new plan and he was getting out of the forsaken place!  Once Ruddiger returned with what he needed, then everything would be ready.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Rapunzel sat in the graveyard holding a flower to her chest.  Looking at her once fiance's grave stone, she ran a hand over the words.  She supposed it was lucky that they had discussed where they wanted to be buried before his untimely death, but it wasn't fair.  Her dream, love, the one person that made her life beautiful was ripped from her life.  His life had been cut too short, it was cruel.

She glanced to her left where there laid a second stone.  Eugene wanted to be buried next to the boy he thought of as his little brother.  Rapunzel agreed that when they died of old age, they would lay next to the boy they had failed to comfort and be there for in life.  She never thought Eugene would be buried there so soon.

The queen felt a chill run up her spine.  After all, it was near one in the morning and the breeze was chilly.  She couldn't sleep, continually plagued by old memories.  Memories she felt like she should have moved on from, but could not.

Finally standing up, she wrapped her shawl closer around her arms.  She only froze when she heard the rustling in the trees behind her.  Pretending as if she hadn't noticed, she suddenly spun around, punching the person sneaking up behind her.

A slim figure cried out and landed on the ground.  Rapunzel, living through too many life and death scenarios, jumped on the victim, penning them down.  "Who are you?"

The voice gasped as the weak figure tried to fight back.  It was like they were malnourished and we're very weak because of it.  They spat in her face, and pushed off.  "Get off me you, you idiot!"

Rapunzel's heart froze upon hearing the voice.  So familiar, but raspy and deeper.  No.  It couldn't be, could it?  She quickly rubbed the spit out of her eyes and made contact with two large blue eyes.  "Varian?"  She whispered.

The nineteen year old growled.  "So what?  Who are you?"

Rapunzel burst into tears, taking him off guard for a moment.  "But you're dead!  Am I dreaming?"

"What?"

Rapunzel pointed to the grave stone and Varian looked.  He froze seeing his name engraved on a stone, which lay next to Eugene's grave.  Suddenly anger boiled in his guts.  "Oh, so you just decided to kill me off when things didn't go your way!"

"It's not like that!  We came back from the trip to find this here.  My parents lost their memories due to the Saporian attack.  They don't remember what happened and it's taking them time to remember things," she explained.

Varian scoffed, crossing his arms.  "You can't tell me no one knew I was down there.  Someone fed me once a day.  You can't tell me that they didn't know who they were giving it to!"

Rapunzel hugged him.  "I don't know, but all I know is that I was told you were gone, but you're still here!"

Varian growled and pushed her.  She fell on the ground.  "I'm sick of your stupid games!  He pressed his foot against her neck, choking her.  She gasped, but couldn't breathe.

"Varian!"

"Shut up!"

Suddenly, someone used the handle of the sword to slam it against Varian's head.  The boy slumped and fell unconscious immediately.  The woman helped Rapunzel up.  "Are you ok?"

"Cass?"

"I was on a late patrol and saw you in trouble, so it took care of it."  Cassandra drew her friend into a hard hug.

"I'm ok, but-"

"Oh my god!" Cassandra gasped as she saw Varian slumped on the ground.  "What the-how the hell is this possible?"

"I don't know…  I'm just glad he's alive…" Rapunzel admitted.