𝒐𝒏𝒆

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

*ONE MONTH AFTER THE INCIDENT*

i slowly open my eyes to the rising of the sun, peeking through the small window we had in our room.

a lot of ugly things have happened, but the sunrises and sunsets were a beautiful thing. to me, at least.

i turned over carefully. away from the sunset and now facing marcus, still asleep.

i placed my left hand on the side of his face, stroking his cheek with my thumb.

thoughts rush through my head.

why did this happen to us? when will it end? i miss my parents. i miss my brother.

i haven't seen my parents or brother since the incident. i wish i knew where they were or if those creatures took them. i really hope they didn't. i'm terrified. constantly.

suddenly tears roll down my face, my hand still cupped around marcus' face.
i really don't want them to take him.

his eyes flutter open, noticing my tears.

he brings his hands up to wipe my tears, placing them around my face and putting his forehead to mine.

"it's okay" he mouths.

he takes his hands away from my face to sign something.

"i'm right here."

i nod and pull him into a hug, burying my face in his neck.

"shhh" he says quietly, feeling my tears on his shoulder.

we weren't allowed to speak. we weren't allowed to make any noise at all or else the creatures would come. i don't know what they're called or why they're here, but once they hear you, you're dead.

we've been living in a house far into the woods for a month now. it's just me, marcus, regan, evelyn, and lee.

daily tasks are difficult such as eating, communicating and even just walking. we have to stay extremely quiet at all times. the sound of a pin dropping could cost us our lives.

there are only two bedrooms, which is why marcus and i share a bed. regan sometimes sleeps in the room with us but she usually feels safer with her parents. i don't mind sharing a bed with marcus, we used to do it when we slept over each other's houses so it's not completely weird.

"hey" marcus signs. "let's go make some breakfast."

i smile and nod, the both of us slowly getting up to start our day, without a sound.

chapter one finished! what do u think so far?