Devastation The Storm Left Behind

"Aang, you need to eat something." Katara said with a sigh. All night, Aang and Sokka have been silent. This was actually the first time Katara had spoken in a few hours herself.

Of course she was upset about Auretta. She liked to think they were becoming good friends. But she needed to be there for her brother and Aang now more than ever.

To make matters worse, Sokka not only grew sick over night, but he blamed himself for what happened to Auretta.

"I left her by the railing... I told her to hold on..." he said. "I should have stayed with her."

Katara placed a hand on her brother's shoulder and squeezed lightly. "It's not your fault, Sokka. No one blames you. If it's anyone's fault, it's..." she sniffed, trying to keep herself from crying. "It's mine. I-I'm the one who told you to get a job. I didn't try to stop you both from going, even after we saw those storm clouds coming in." She turned to Aang who sat with his knees pressed into his chest, hiding his head in his arms. "I'm so sorry, Aang."

The boy was silent. He didn't react at all for a while. They even dropped the old man off at his house in silence. After that, they left the town. The three of them wanted to be out of that place as soon as possible.

It was only after they had finally landed in an abandoned temple carved into the side of a mountain, that Aang finally spoke. "It's no one's fault." He stated simply, but firmly. He then jumped off Appa and landed on his knees, gripping his stomach tightly.

He felt sick. He wanted to throw up, but nothing happened. The parallels were too similar for this to be a mistake. Was this meant to happen? Was he just supposed to lose everyone? Not only did he lose Gyatso, but he lost the rest of his people as well. He already thought he lost his sister once, but he got her back. Why would the spirits take her again?! A part of him wondered if he'd get her back again this time, too.

"Aang..." Katara frowned, her heart clenching at the sight of him bent over like that. Sobs wracked his body as she pulled him into a hug. "I'm so sorry, Aang." She whispered hoarsely, not knowing what else to say.

While Katara comforted Aang, Sokka numbly untied the knot holding the supplies in place on Appa's saddle. Then, he paused. Auretta had tied that just earlier today. She was sitting right there, smiling and making jokes about him eating the wrong berries.

His eyes finally released their tears when he spotted Auretta's fans poking out of her small bag. Katara said it wasn't his fault, but still, he could have kept this from happening. He could have made her come with him to hold the sail in place. He should have kept his hand around hers. He should have told her to go below deck. Spirits, she would have been safe there!

Sokka grew angry at the thought, clenching his fist before throwing a punch at his sleeping bag. "Why am I so stupid!?" He hissed to himself through gritted teeth. "I'm an idiot!"

"She can't be gone! S-she can't!" He then heard Aang cry. "She's my sister, Katara! I can't do this without her!" The boy sobbed, clutching the fabric of his friend's shirt for dear life.

Katara shushed him, squeezing him a little bit tighter. Her voice came out heavy as she finally allowed herself to cry. "I know, Aang. I-I know. Everything will be ok, I promise." She honestly didn't know what she was saying. She wasn't even sure everything would be ok.

"How can it ever be ok again?" Aang asked, clenching his eyes shut. "She's dead, Katara. Auretta's dead!"

*

After that, Sokka started getting a fever, and Aang went quiet again. He never stopped crying. He didn't make any noise, but the tears still poured from his eyes in a steady stream.

Katara sighed. She didn't know what to do. She placed another cold rag on Sokka's forehead as he layed in his sleeping bag on Appa's leg. She noticed Auretta's fans tucked neatly next to him, but chose not to say anything. She would do the same.

She glanced at Aang once again. He was sat on the opposite wall to them, just staring at the ground. He hadn't moved in over an hour.

Katara willed herself not to cry again when she felt the urge climb up her throat. The boys needed her now. She could let out her feelings when they were better.

If that would ever even happen.