One

Light erratically shifts through cracks in the stained window, softly glowing upon two laying figures tightly packed into the corner, a dull hay sack accentuating rough, mud sodden ground beneath them.

Cowering, the larger figure cradles the smaller, infant, softly brushing hair away from their dirt obscured face. Gently placing kisses every so often.

The mother casts sunken eyes over the infant, getting one last good look. Noting how red hair falls around her delicate face, highlighting pale skin, which always seemed to encapsulate the light, sparkling.

The small child reaches an innocent hand up, endearingly grasping at the mother's face, yet being denied contact by gently brushing nimble fingers away.

Longing encased the stifled air. Yearning for another way out; a different ending. In truth, the mother had tried everything. Every means necessary to protect her little girl, yet to no avail.

Darkness provided a cover for the figures, engaging the whispers shared, protecting them from prying ears.

"My special girl," voice cracking, dissolving the facade she held.  Glancing to the dirt-stricken walls away from the child as painful reality began to settle in. Looking around the area at where the two spend their final moments together.

"We must part ways now," Pausing, attempting to making their last words meaningful. "Not forever though," Combing the child's hair, speaking softly, an attempt to hush her tone as if it was a secret that they will return to each other in time.

"We will meet again my darling, perhaps in many lifetimes to come," Each word tearing gaping holes. Every syllable bringing them closer to their departure. Every clause destroying the mother internally.

"But you must promise me one thing," Once again staring at the child with intent in her gaze. "You will never stop fighting for the ones you love,"

The statement was endearing: The older woman often sought to teach the child a lesson with lasting effect. Yet in this moment, she struggled. There is a vast expanse of lessons that a parent could teach a child, those lessons would be taught over many years. They did not have many years together.  So instead opting for a lesson which would not only be universal, yet also help the child remember her mother's captivating love throughout their short years together. Her mother fought for the child: her greatest love in the universe.

Heavy set boots echoed in the area surrounding the hut. Marshland providing ample warning of their arrival. Bracing the child in quivering arms; one last embrace. Endeavouring to protect her from the events that will follow by tugging the blanket up, sheathing the child's face.

The sound of neighbouring huts having their doors torn off sends fear coursing through broken veins, hands beginning to tremble. The woodland surroundings offered a perfect environment for suspense, snapping twigs growing ever closer, huge bark structures providing pillars for speech to reverberate through the air.

Inhaling steadily, maintaining the cool exterior; She had fought too long to be considered a coward.

Finally, the intensifying footsteps found themselves outside of the hut. A few brief moments of silence, then without hesitation, the door flung open, followed by bellowing voices, most resembling 'We've found them,"

Many bodies filed their way inside the dimly lit hut, all stifling the air to an even further extent.

Clutching the small child, the mother is hoisted to her feet, roughly being pushed outside.

In the forest air, a large man awaits. Gold armour accentuating broad shoulders, a sly smile set on his face. Knees roughly hitting the ground as he starts toward her.