Chapter One

The cool breeze from my window woke me up. I noticed that Nina wasn't in her green sleeping bag. The door was also wide open. Maybe she went to the bathroom.

 I picked up the romance book on my nightstand and opened it. The third chapter shocked me. How did the main character already have a guy in love with her? They just met.

 Ten minutes later, Nina didn't come back. I put down the book and walked down the hall. No one was in the bathroom.

 I went downstairs. She wasn't in the living room or the kitchen either. But the back door was wide open. Where the hell did she go?

 "Oh my God. This can't be real," I muttered.

 There were footprints in the snow leading to the fence in my backyard. I stared out the door in disbelief. Nina could've at least told me she didn't want to stay here. I couldn't just spend the whole weekend by myself.

 My eyes filled with tears. This was the second time she ditched me out of nowhere. I thought we were best friends. But I guess I was wrong.

 Tears spilled down my face, as I tiptoed back to my bedroom. All that time I spent planning this sleepover was wasted. I wanted to scream. But obviously I couldn't, because my mom was asleep.

 My phone rang on the nightstand. It was Alicia calling. I was too sad to speak. So I sent her a message instead.

 Hi. What's up?

 I rolled up Nina's sleeping bag and shoved it back in my closet. A knock on my door broke the silence. My mom walked in, holding two bright pink mugs. Her smile disappeared when she saw me crying.

"What's the matter honey?"

"Nina ditched me," I told her.

"That's horrible. How dare she?"

"I know. But I thought she actually liked me."

"You'll find better friends, Mya."

She gave me a mug. I sipped from it. The hot chocolate burned my tongue, but it made me feel a little better. Both of us sat on my bed.

She rubbed my back in a comforting way. My phone chimed on the nightstand. I grabbed it with my other hand. A message from Alicia appeared on the screen.

Hey. I'm at the diner and Nina's here with some guy.

What the fuck? I wanted to find Nina and slap her. She ditched me three times for a guy? I can't believe she didn't tell me.

"Do you want me to stay up here with you?" My mom asked in a soft tone.

I looked at her. "Yeah. I just don't want to be alone right now."

"I'll stay up here as long as you want me to."

As I drank my hot chocolate, that message lingered in my mind. Maybe the guy was cute. He better be, since Nina chose him over me. I sent Alicia my reply.

What does he look like?

Two minutes later, my phone chimes once more. A photo appeared on the screen. The guy in the photo sat in a booth with Nina. His hair was jet black and he had on a white shirt. I didn't see his face, because it wasn't shown.

Nina was smiling in the photo, like she was on Cloud 9. She never smiled like that around me. It was nice to see her happy, I guess.

Wait a minute. How did Alicia take that photo without Nina noticing? I was about to type a reply, but the phone got snatched out of my hand. My mom put it in the pocket of her fluffy white robe.