(Updated) Chapter 9-Friday Night Lights

My whirlwind first week at RHS is already coming to an end. Payton and the girls made it their personal mission to make me feel comfortable which has been extremely nice. With how busy the week has been, hanging with the girls, meeting more new people, navigating the school and starting cheer practices I haven't had any time to miss Chicago. Oh and I can't forget all the time I've spent trying to distract myself from how cute Payton's brother is. I'm a little ashamed to admit how easily my palms get sweaty anytime Tyler's near me. I've found my best defense is to try and act like he doesn't exist, which is easier said then done. Yesterday in English our class had to partner up with the people who sit around us to discuss the book we are reading. That meant Mason, Tyler and the snobby red head who sits in front of me, Quinn Davis, were in a group together.  Quinn basically only payed attention to Tyler during our discussion and acted like Mason and I didn't exist. Even though I get the sense Quinn doesn't like me very much, and I don't know why, it did at least make it a little easier to keep my feelings in check during class. After all, Payton is my closest friend here and I won't let some stupid crush on her older brother come between us.

Another way to distract myself from Tyler is focusing on cheer. At practice Coach Kim has had me dive right into learning chants, fight songs and routines with the team. Our first game is tonight and although I haven't learned everything yet, Coach is happy with what I have managed to learn and wants me to cheer on the sidelines with the rest of the team. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't extremely nervous about it. Romeo is a small town and football is a big deal so everybody comes to the games. Mix in my moderate social anxiety with being brand new to the sport and it feels like a recipe for disaster. I've second guessed my decision to join this team probably one hundred thirty-two times this week. But even with all my fears, Payton has done a great job reassuring me that everything is going to be great. She's even been putting in extra time working with me one on one at night to try and make me feel more at ease.  I don't know what I did to deserve this girl but man am I grateful she's been so loyal to me since the moment we first met.

"So Pay, you never filled us in on how your talk with TJ went the other night.....How'd he take the news about you liking Jake? Was that the issue?" Kelly asks.

Kelly, Rachel, Claire and I are all up in Payton's room doing our hair and makeup before we have to head to the stadium for warm up before the game.

"Oh.....about that....well I tried to bring it up, a few times actually. But then you see, TJ was always at practice, or I was at practice, or with Lila getting in extra reps before today. My talk with TJ may have never happened. But it definitely wasn't because I was too nervous to bring it up to him." Payton wears a guilty smile.

"Payton Marie, I never knew you to be a scaredy cat!" Rachel teases her.

"What?! It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. TJ and I are close but we've never talked about stuff like this before. Plus there was never a good time to bring it up because we both have honestly been really busy. Don't judge me. I'll do it, eventually...."

"I'm so glad I have sisters." Kelly deadpans and we all burst out laughing.

"Ok changing the subject, let's talk about how good Lila looks in this uniform! I feel like a proud mom." Payton starts waving her hands at her eyes like she is about to get emotional.

"Oh stop it! .....But do you guys really think so? I feel a little like I'm playing dress up." I say, brushing my hands down my uniform. It's red, white and black with the bulldog mascot across the front.

"You look great Lila. We don't want you to feel nervous about tonight either. We all have total faith in you. I've never seen someone pick up material as fast as you, truthfully! You're a complete natural! If you do get a little nervous though, just remember we will all be right by your side the whole game. If you forget something all you need to do is ask or follow us, we'll take care of you." Claire smiles at me through the mirror while she finishes putting the red bow in my hair.