2

Tommy awoke wet and cold. Apparently, it had either rained last night, and he didn't wake up, or it was dew that was covering everything.

He shivered violently as he made his way down the slippery tree. Right before he was about to jump down, he lost his footing and fell, twisting his ankle upon impact.

The cursing he used wasn't very original as he was very tired, but it did the job.

Limping slightly, Tommy made his way in the direction he hoped the house was in. He was wet and cold, and he could feel himself getting sicker as he continued to move. Not to mention he now had a sprained ankle or something.

Why couldn't I have just gone and sat in the old treehouse like I intended?

He had only meant to go to his and his brothers' old fort to clear his head, but his feet had dragged him onward into the forest where he was now lost.

No, not lost, taking a planned stroll in which finding someone to walk out with would be nice. Yeah, that was totally it.

The sun had just barely been up when he woke up, so everything everywhere was wet. Wet and cold, and cold and wet. Just like him.

Tommy continued to shiver as he walked. He could tell his head was getting more and more unclear as he became sicker and sicker. But he had to keep moving, had to get home.

Wait, didn't Techno once tell him something about if he ever got lost?

If you ever get lost, stay in one spot. It'll be easier to find you if you aren't constantly moving.

Oh yeah, that. Maybe he should do that now.

Tommy collapsed against the trunk of a rather large oak tree. It wasn't the most comfortable spot, but he was too tired and sick to care.

I hope they come find me soon.

~

Techno hadn't been able to find Tommy last night. He had come home after two hours of searching nearly in tears because he couldn't find Tommy. Wilbur, who seemed to be the only one thinking any sort of straight, said that they all needed rest and that it would be easier to find and follow a trail in the morning.

And now, Phil and his sons, each having barely three hours of sleep, probably less, were all putting on their coats and shoes to go find their missing fourth member. He could only hope Tommy had found somewhere safe and warm to sleep.

Techno showed them the trails he had found, how they crisscrossed over and over again, how it was nearly impossible to know which direction Tommy went.

"Let's just split up and each search in a direction for now. Call if you find something." His two sons nodded, each running off in a different direction. Phil was worried about their safety, as well as Tommy's, but his oldest were twenty-one and could take care of themselves just fine.

Phil took off in the final direction, searching for any signs that his youngest had come that way.

He'd been searching for an hour before he finally found something. Beneath a random tree, there was an impact spot, like someone had fallen from the tree. There was also a trail that led off to the southeast.

Tommy... he had tried to get back home.

The trail was fresh, most likely from this morning. Phil texted Wilbur and Techno his approximate location and which direction he was heading. They would be able to get there shortly, but Phil wasn't going to stand around and wait when Tommy was so close.

Phil nearly sprinted in the direction he believed Tommy went, following the trail of broken twigs and crushed grass.

As he continued to follow the trail, it became more and more haggard and staggering, like whoever made it, Tommy, might be hurt. Phils heart raced at this, his mind flooding with all sorts of possibilities.

He would have missed Tommy had his eagle-like eyesight not caught sight of a familiar red and white pattern behind a tree.

Phil rushed around the tree to find a pale and shivering Tommy curled up into a ball against the base. "No, no no no no. Tommy? Tommy, wake up." He grabbed his son's shoulders and shook them slightly, then harder once he got no response. A small groan came from the boy, but he didn't wake up completely.

Shit shit shit. This wasn't good. Tommy had never handled sickness well. He needed to get back home and warm up as soon as possible.

Footsteps were hurrying towards them, two sets by the sound of it. "Over here!" he called to them. Techno and Wilbur rounded the tree, eyes wide at the sight of their younger brother. "Tech, which way is home?"

Techno looked around before pointing north and a little east.

"I'll meet you boys back home yeah?" Phil said as he lifted Tommy into his arms. He grunted as he did so, but he adjusted his grip and was fine.

"Are you sure you can carry him?" Wilbur's worried gaze was locked on his little brother. Phil could tell he wanted to reach out and hold the boy, but he refrained.

Phil smiled at his son but didn't answer before he took off into the sky, carried on the very wings that had made Tommy run away.

***

906 words