𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

༄༄༄

༄༄༄

-8 YEARS LATER-

A grunt, and then a shiver.

Your blood craves for eternity.

Novah narrowed at the distorted image of herself pictured in the long glass mirror, after the door to her dorm had been shut down and her upper clothes taken off. She eyed her own turbulence with stiff eyes, placing both of her hands near the edges of the brown chest of drawers which touched the skin of her belly, so to maintain her balance as a strange irritant, sharp but quick pain created tingling goosebumps all over the body.

It had started a few months ago, the stings of pain on the back of her body and the water dripples on her forehead, as sweat formed. She didn't feel those for a few days, as she kept count, but usually the symptoms returned on a higher frequency and far more piercing.

Using her butter fingers to slowly pull off the which hugged the chest and upper back of hers, she gritted her teeth at the sight of a few round tiny bruises on the sides of her breast which had been giving her headaches the night before.

Unlock your inner strength.

The second shiver left her wet plump lips, her breath coming off sharp, so she stopped her movements, now her torso fully naked, the strands of her chocolate hair falling on the bare skin. She then looked over her shoulders and turned sightly around, bouncing back her gaze to the unfazed mirror.

She looked at it far more times than she needed to, but somehow on her features lacked the resolve she looked for in it every single time. The mark on her back intrigued her as much as it scared her. It had become a friend of hers, over the years, a part of her body, personality, and spirit but she hadn't found the full meaning to its existence. At first glance, it matched the color of her skin, barely a tone darker, but in the shadows it shinned a little, resembling the rays of the sun kissing the waters of a river.

Somehow she had accepted that her future depended on it, it was far more difficult to her when she had been old enough to look at it for the first time, to unseal it and to comprehend it. Books had not told her much, its contents were difficult to analyze, partly due the centuries which had taken over substantially far from its publishing era, also, there were symbols she did not understand linked to dubious words made off mathematic formulas.

Fairly, the Academy had thrown classes specialized in the matter of potions, cursed symbols and dark spells which altered the cells of a human and its whole anatomy, a few interesting mentions enlightened her desire to search for more answers, but nothing was ever enough to dissolve the mystery, so she embraced what she was certain of, and that was the uttering words of the woman who had been her home for thirteen years.

"Trust your instincts, Novah, for whatever lies ahead. You were born different, your blood craves for eternity, your soul for what is beyond eternity. Understand this. Live up to it. . Do not let what is evil and meaningful to dictate the power that reaches your hands. Remember that what boils in your skin is not an oath to bring about maledictions. . If anything, death means to be reborn, and to be reborn means to unfold what is humane in oneself. Pity those who are alive and unwell, pity what comes and goes only to perish without a substance of compassion."