All Over Again // Chapter 30

(A/N: I highly recommend to grab some tissues and listen to the sad songs on SOUR by Olivia Rodrigo during this chapter lmao okay bye bye enjoy)

~ Their eyes

Athena was gonna experience heartbreak all over again, well, not really, because her heart had never completely healed, but it was starting to, until he would break it again.

Heartbreak is such an ironic feeling, because you know that you will eventually feel it, but you're never prepared for it. Athena knew it, she knew that getting with Niall would end up in her having a broken heart, but she couldn't help it. She tried, she really did try to control herself, her feelings, the way her stomach flipped, but she simply couldn't. The simple mention of his name could make Athena smile from ear to ear. And she completely hated that.

But Niall wasn't the only one that was gonna break Athena's heart, oh no, because Athena broke her own heart as well by holding on to him.

Niall had never, ever, meant to hurt Athena. Never in a million years he would've liked to see her suffer, but Niall thought he was being selfless, he really did think that at the end he would be able to look at Athena without being scared that someone was watching them.

Whoever the fuck told you that loving is easy, was completely and utterly wrong. Life is not a fairytale, and love isn't either. Snow White doesn't get saved by her prince, Ariel never gets her voice back from Ursula, and Niall doesn't get to be with Athena.

Being in love isn't enough to make things work.

"Hey," Niall muttered when he finally went back to Athena "sorry 'bout that"

Athena wanted to slap him across his beautiful fucking face.

"Yeah," She cleared her throat "I can tell"

"Why the sudden mood change?" Niall asked

Athena didn't miss a single beat "Who were you talking to?"

A lump formed in Niall's thorat, and he hated himself for what he was gonna say next.

"Uh, that was my- my um-" He stuttered "That was my girlfriend"

The five stages of grief, Athena knew them by hard. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally, acceptance. What you don't know is that for Athena, there would only be four stages of grief, because she would skip one of the stages.

Athena laughed "Yeah sure, a girlfriend"

Niall swallowed "I'm being serious"

Niall could see how Athena's face completely fell and her eyes widened.

"What?" She breathed out

"I'm being serious, I have a girlfriend now" Niall was having such a hard time saying those words, the only thing he wanted was to wrap his arms around the vulnerable girl in front of him.

But he couldn't. And he wouldn't.

Athena was already feeling hot tears stream down her cheeks, falling onto the floor like little drops of rain that would soon be forgotten once the sun came out.

Niall had broken his latibule, tearing it apart and making it everything but a safe place. The definition for latibule is a hiding place; a place of safety and comfort. But you don't break down your hiding place, because you may be found, and you won't be able to hide there anymore. The place won't bring you comfort because you tore it down apart, you broke it's walls, it's heart, it's soul, it's everything.