Fifth Movement: In the Shadows of the Mists | Growing-up

Half Moon was suddenly startled by an unfamiliar sound, her heart racing in her chest. With a sharp circular motion, she observed the thickets of grass that surrounded them. She must have dozed off a bit; but it was still dark. The stars could not be seen, hidden by the clouds that passed, high in the sky. Everything was gloomy. There was nothing suspicious, yet she could not calm her anxiety. She just had to stretch out her arm to shake Hawkeye. He gave a grunt, opened one eye and struggled to his feet.

"What?" he grumbled.

"Didn't you hear anything?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know," she admitted. "But I'm sure something woke me up."

"It's the anxiety! And certainly, the atmosphere of this damned Walk... "

"Are you suggesting that I'm suggestible or am I dreaming?"

"No, it's not that! I'm also on edge, except that I was sleeping..."

"Sorry! But if it had been serious, you would have thanked me!"

"Yes! Yes, I would have! But it is not the case. Go back to sleep, the day will be long and if you don't rest, who can I count on?"

"You're right. I... I need to sleep."

She lay down and wrapped herself more tightly in her coat, closing her eyes. Only to open them again immediately.

"What's really worrying you, Moony?" said Hawkeye in a low voice.

She turned her face to him. He had come closer, to her level. For a few seconds they would stare at each other. It was no longer time to spare him, he was a man now...

"I'm not at all reassured that we are alone in this huge swamp... If we were attacked, we..."

"You've already been in this kind of situation and you know how to defend yourself, I've seen you train, you know?" he said with a relieved voice.

"Yes, I know how to defend myself, but this is different: the children... We were not supposed to be among ourselves..."

"Among ourselves? You mean without adults?"

"No, I mean without strong warriors..."

"I can't believe you're not happy that they're way behind those ones! Well, I like it better this way! I don't trust them at all."

"You're not wrong - even if I miss the presence of Childeric and the twins - but I don't trust them completely either... It's true that I feel more serene away from them, but on the other hand, we are also more vulnerable."

"Why do you always have to imagine the worst, Moony? It doesn't have to be bad for us and we don't have to be attacked by a bunch of bad guys!"

"No, but there are not only bad guys in the world... And... I know this world well enough to know that there are much worse. I'm worried about the children, we'll never be able to defend them only the two of us if there's a real problem."

"They can defend themselves too, you know?"

"Monsters exist, Hawky... Really. And they don't disappear with the sunrise like in Quicksilver's tales."

"What kind of stories do you think Quicksilver was reading us in the dome of Elwìnn? You should have come to listen to him more often, Half Moon. But you're not telling me everything, there's something else, isn't there?"