REPETITION

The next day was Sunday, meaning Nick and Clay had the day off. Nick got up early, as usual, but Clay used it as an excuse to stay in bed until late in the day, meaning Nick had some time to himself for a little while.

He climbed out his window onto the little ledge that led to his roof, shuffling his way onto the roof and laying back, staring at the few tufts of clouds that were scattered in the sky. Some of the clouds were white, others yellow and orange from the color that always seemed to be accustomed to L'Manburg skies in the morning and evening.

He wondered if it was so beautiful everywhere else in the world, but as soon as the thought came it was gone, almost like it was ripped out of his brain by some unseen force. He didn't think too much about it, focusing on the scene above him, watching the clouds and distant birds.

Hm, strange, he wondered as he saw some black birds come by their house, going in the opposite direction of the little restaurant he'd seen Darryl and Zak in. I coulda sworn that those birds were the same ones I saw the other day. Get a grip, Nick, quit imagining things.

By the time that the sun had completely made its way over the horizon, Nick had forgotten all about the whole thing, and was almost beginning to drift off when the sound of someone struggling made its way into his ears. He turned to see Clay pushing himself onto the roof, panting as he crawled over to Nick.

"What're you doing? Aren't you afraid of heights?" Nick asked the blond incredulously.

"A little, but I was bored and you looked lonely. Besides, I'm here now, I don't have to deal with it again." He looked relieved by this information.

"Won't you have to when you get back down?" Nick said, stifling a laugh.

"Don't remind me," Clay growled and they both laughed.

They sat in silence for a little while, enjoying each other's company and watching the people going about their days below. No one seemed to notice the two boys sitting on the roof, but if they did no one said anything or showed that they'd spotted them. Neither cared in any case, there was nothing wrong with hanging out on a roof.

"There's a rebellion," Clay said all of a sudden.

"What?" Nick said, not having heard what he said.

"There's a rebellion, Nick. I've heard rumors, people whispering about it when they think no one's listening. People are standing up to the officials, I'm not the only one who's noticed how odd things here are!"

"Clay, what are you talking about? Do you hear yourself right now?"

"Yeah, I do. I've never heard myself clearer. They're apparently out there somewhere," Clay said, motioning to the woods surrounding the town. "We can find them, Nick, we can find out what's really going on here! I'll prove to you that I'm not insane, we can-"

"Clay, stop, you do sound insane! I really don't understand how you could believe that, why you'd want to. Our lives are fine, do you not like living with me? Having friends and a great job and never having to worry about money?"

"That's not what I'm saying," Clay spit back, but Nick didn't let him get anything else out.

"I like it here. If we lived out there, we'd starve to death before we'd find this 'rebellion' if it even existed, which it doesn't."

"No we wouldn't, we both know how to use weapons, we could hunt, we could make due for ourselves for a while until we find them, which we will. I have faith, Nick. Please just come with me," Clay was begging now. It broke Nick's heart to see him this way, especially because he already knew his answer and it wasn't gonna change.

"No."

Clay looked heartbroken, the fact that he wasn't gonna change Nick's mind finally sinking in. Sadness quickly turned to anger and acceptance as he scooted his way to the edge of the roof, preparing to lower himself so he could get back inside. Nick wasn't gonna go after him, but he saw Clay's hand slip and hurried to catch him before he could fall. He lowered him onto the ledge, watching as he practically threw himself through the window before getting down after him.

"I'm sorry, Clay," he said to the blond sitting on his bed. "I didn't mean to make you feel stupid or like what you're feeling isn't real, but I'm not willing to drop everything we have here and run off into the woods because of rumors, it's just not the kind of person I am. I'm not a risk taker."

"I know, it's okay," Clay said, finally looking up at his best friend.

"If it turns out that they really were just rumors, I'll be waiting for you with open arms," Nick offered, taking Clay into an embrace. "And an 'I told ya so.'" They both laughed, and Clay left to pack some things, though not much because he didn't want to be weighed down.

He met Nick downstairs with a backpack around his shoulders and a waterproof jacket tied around his waist. They hugged once more, this one longer and more loving than the other, before Clay slipped out through the back door. Luckily, their house was backed up to the woods, so he made it easily. Nick watched him until he couldn't see his green shirt through the thick trees anymore and then went back inside.

He finally broke down, sitting on the couch that used to be theirs and holding his head in his hands as he cried softly. He'd just let his best friend run off on his own, and he still couldn't be bothered to go after him. He was terrified, terrified for Clay and for himself.

Who knew what Clay would be faced with out there, he could be attacked by a wild animal or by one of the people that lived in the outskirts of the city, or he may find this alleged rebellion but they don't trust him and kill him. While he knew these fears weren't backed up by anything, he couldn't help but worry. This was his best friend, after all.

He was worried for himself because he didn't know how this was gonna change things. He was terrified of losing his best friend, the only real family he had left. Why did this have to happen? Why couldn't Clay have just accepted that things were the way they were and continued to live his life in peace with his best friend? Was Nick not enough for him?

He fell asleep to his own tears, not leaving the couch and not enjoying the glow of the sun like he usually would. He felt awful.

-

Word count: 1,137

A/N: i got no sleep last night and am exhausted, running on an hour nap that i had at four pm yesterday and three cups of coffee. i just wanted to get this chapter out before i call it quits and pass out. anyways... things are getting spicy... wonder what'll happen with all that.