Chapter 28

The men who had tried to kill Jon were used to demonstrate the uninhabitable true north. One by one, they were made to walk past the gates and as the men of Night's Watch and the free folk watched, the traitors froze to death the moment they stepped foot outside the gates.

Many of the free folk cried as they could no longer return to their land. Meanwhile, Jon was berating Bran and his companions for foolishly traveling through the land of the dead.

In the end, Jon sighed and asked, "How did Edwyn manage to save you?"

Bran replied as he recalled the massacre that took place inside the Weirwood tree...

They had finally managed to reach their destination without only losses. Jojen, who expected to die was shocked when there were no undead laying in wait for them. Something had happened that changed his fate.

On the other hand, the three eyed raven and the children of the forest were having a difficult time believing what was happening. The Night king and his army, the abomination that had plagued Planetos for thousands of years, was at the brink of annihilation.

As the otherworlder flung his attack at the Night king, they reminiced their thousands of years old struggle against their own creation. So many sacrifices, so much blood shed to rid the world of the walkers.. they couldn't believe it was finally going to be over.

A brief moment of relief.. of joy.. and as the Night King exploded under the heat and power of the otherworlder's attack, the world despaired and the winds cried with anguish. The true north was engulfed in a never-ending blizzard.

The heir of the raven had just managed to enter the safe confines of the three when the the true north was rendered uninhabitable.

The mood was bleak. With no way back for Bran and his company, they sat in despair as Leaf and the other children tried to find a way to supress the blizzard.

The three eyed raven began training Bran into the ways of a Greenseer as the rest simply sat around in wait. That's when Edwyn appeared with a flash of black and red.

His sudden appearance scared the living hell out of everyone. Then, Bran recognized him.

"Edwyn Baratheon?"

The man glanced at Bran and then glared at the three eyed raven.

"Found yourself a little boy toy, did ya? I've gotta hand to you. Such a devious mind to have.. To even be able to fool these.. hold on.. they are 'children' of the forest! Of course! You're like a witch luring and fooling children to eat them!"

Everyone was staring at him incredulously as he rambled on.

"Man.. You're a sick pervert. I should turn you into a white walker and leave your soul under eternal torment."

That startled everyone out of their stupor and they got ready with their weapons to protect the three eyed raven. Meanwhile, Bran simply sighed in defeat and said, "We can't do anything against him. If he wants to kill us all.. then we are simply at his mercy."

Edwyn smirked at Bran and said, "So, the first thing you made the boy see was my feats.. My my.. the things you can see with your sick mind.. Wait!"

Edwyn growled at the old man and said, "You spied on me while I bathed when I was little, right?!"

No one knew what to say.. The whole situation was absurd.

The old man was aware of what Edwyn was doing. So, he straight awau confessed, "I did it because it was a necessity."

The humor immediately left Edwyn's eyes and it was replaced by raw hostility.

".. And yet, your role amounted to be absolutely nothing in ending the Night King's terror. You are just an old man too scared of death. Luring children towards you only to drain their life away so you could live longer."

"What?!"

"How dare you!"

Edwyn shook his head and said, "This old man is nothing but a witch who lires children with high magic to his lair and eats their souls to extend his own life span. These.. Children of the forest.. They're his accomplices because he was able to convince then that his powers would be vital against the Night king."

Edwyn looked at Leaf and continued, "Filled with so much regret.. You sided with this predator.."

No one could say another word before the space was engulfed with a bright flash of black and red. In the next moment, the heads of all the Children of the forest and the three eyed raven fell to the cold floor.

Bran and the rest were too shocked for a moment and then they screamed in anguish, sorrow and despair.

"Why did you kill them?!" Bran demaned. He simply couldn't believe his eyes.

"The old man was going to either possess your body or eat your soul to strengthen his and ultimately extend his life."

Edwyn then looked at the fallen bodies of the Children of the forest and said, "They created the Night king knowing of what he would be capable of. Because of them, countless souls were subjected to unending torment for many millenia. They helped that abominable three eyed raven in his depraved quest to live longer and prey upon the lives of countless children, fully knowing that what they were doing was wrong."

For the first time since his appearance, Meera said, "You could have spared them! They were trying to end the Night King!"

Edwyn stared coldly at her and said, "There are limits to everything.. even the extent of the wrongs one is willing to commit for the greater good."

"Who gave you the right to decide their fate?!"

With a gaze so cold that it chilled the souls of everyone present, Edwyn replied, "Power."

(NAGOT)

A/N: A short chapter that I was able to write by squeezing out some time from my busy life. Remember, this is obviously an AU so some things are bound to be different.