Chapter 4 - Blurred Lines

Rachel comes in the morning for Liam. Her eyes are bright with excitement as she looks at the little boy.

"I have so many plans for us. First we'll go to Itty Bitty Town, then we'll have lunch at Chuck E. Cheese. After that we'll go to the toy store-"

Cole holds up his hand, interrupting her. "That's all for one day?"

"Yes, but don't worry I have plans for tomorrow as well."

"When is my son coming home?"

Rachel taps her chin in thought. "Um, I'm not sure. I'll let you know."

Cristiana jogs down the stairs carrying a small army green duffle bag filled with Liam's clothes and necessities. "I put extra training diapers in there, but he's been doing really well with saying when he needs to potty. Also, he's wearing underwear during the day now. Don't worry, they're the thick kind for potty training so they're observant, but let him wear them too long if he has an accident. You can put a training diaper on him when you're out. He has a small rash on his bottom so there's some cream in there as well. His skin has been extra dry lately, so please use the Aveeno lotion before bed." Her thorough instructions make her sound more like a concerned mother than a nanny. The thought strikes Cole in an odd way. He shifts uncomfortably.

Rachel takes the bag with a gracious smile. "That's a lot to remember."

Cristiana laughs lightly. "I wrote it down. The note is in the front pocket of the bag along with a list of foods that he refuses to eat currently."

Rachel's smile widens. "Wow, you're like super nanny. Thank you. You're coming tomorrow, right?"

"Coming to what?" The nanny's head tilts with curiosity.

"We're all going to church and having lunch at my parents' place. It's the usual Sunday thing, but Cole has been out of town every Sunday since you've started working so there's no way you could have known, " Rachel explains while glaring at her brother. "You didn't tell her."

"It hasn't come up," Cole responds defensively. Truthfully, it never occurred to him to let Cristiana know. She would enjoy the extra day off.

Rachel rolls her eyes at his lame excuse. "Well, now you know Cristiana, and I expect you to be there as well."

Cristiana's mouth turns up. "It sounds like a family thing."

The vivacious woman waves away her comment. "You're basically family. Say you'll be there."

"I'll be there," Cristiana agrees halfheartedly.

It's obvious Rachel won't leave until she gets the response she wants. She wants Cristiana to be present Sunday although it truly does sound like a family only event. Cristiana isn't family, she's the help. Rachel probably wants you there for Liam. He gets restless easily. They don't want to deal with a cranky toddler during church. The thoughts only slightly ease her worry. There's a clear rebuttal. Cole knew of the plans and hadn't mentioned them to her. That means he doesn't want her in attendance.

"Okay, we're going now. Have a good kid free day you two." Rachel waves as she leads Liam out of the door.

Cole shoves his hands into the pockets of his gym shorts. "I'm going to get some work done." He turns, walking out of the foyer towards his office.

Cristiana follows him. "I don't have to go if you don't want me to. I only agreed so Rachel would let it go."

Cole takes a seat at his desk. "My mom wants you there too, and Liam will enjoy having you around." But not him. Cristiana senses the reluctance in his voice.