Chapter 6 - The Shift

It's late morning when Cole wakes up the following Monday. He groans knowing right away that he's very late for work. Luckily, there isn't anyone to hassle him about it. He sits on the right side of his bed and stretches his arms above his head. A glance over his shoulder reveals Cristiana slumbering on her stomach. The covers are pooled at her waist revealing her naked back. Cole places a kiss on her shoulder before strutting to the bathroom. After his shower, he walks into his bedroom to get dressed. Cristiana is still asleep.

After he's dressed, he bends down to kiss her awake. "Good morning, Sleepy Beauty."

Her eyes flutter. "What time is it?"

"Half past nine."

She gasps, sitting upright in bed. "You're late for work."

Cole snickers, "Whose fault is that?" He kisses her again, lingering. "I could always work from home today."

"Mm, you could, but maybe you should go to the office." Cristiana pulls the cover up to her chest as she slightly turns her face away from him.

He frowns and slowly straightens himself. "I'll go into the office, but we need to talk later. Go back to sleep before Liam wakes up. You need the rest." He winks as he swaggers out of his bedroom.

It's less than an hour later when Cristiana wakes to the smell of coffee like she does every morning. Except this morning is different, not just because of her lack of sleep the night before. She's woken up in Cole's bed. They have blurred the lines. They've taken innocent flirtation and turned it into mind-blowing sex that she's certain she'll never forget. What does it mean for us?

Cristiana throws the covers off her body and rushes down the hall to her bedroom. She doesn't want Linda to see her lying in Cole's bed. Hurriedly she showers and dresses in brown joggers with a forest green long-sleeved t-shirt. She walks across the hall to Liam's room. He's awake and jumping on his toddler bed. Cristiana wrestles him down and changes him out of his pajamas.

"Do you want some breakfast?" She asks the little boy with mocked excitement.

"Eggs and cheese!" He cheers. It's the same thing he asks for every morning.

She lifts the boy onto her hip. "Eggs and cheese it is." Carefully Cristiana makes her way downstairs carrying Liam. She releases him before entering the kitchen.

"Good morning." Linda offers her a steaming coffee mug. She gratefully accepts. "How was your weekend?"

Cristiana cautiously takes a sip of her coffee. "It was...interesting to say the least."

Linda gives a knowing smile. "Is that why your bed was empty when I got here?"

"You went upstairs." Cristiana covers her face in embarrassment. "I don't know what happened." Linda quirks her eyebrows with a doubtful expression. "Okay, I know what happened. It was just so sudden and now I'm so confused. I don't know what this means. If it even means anything."

"What do you want it to mean?" Linda asks while placing a small plate of scrambled eggs with cheese on Liam's highchair.

Cristiana places the boy in his seat. "I don't think it matters what I want. Cole has all the power."

Sudden laughter pops from Linda. "Honey, you are sorely blind if you don't see the power you wield over that man. Cole is crazy about you."

"Yeah, I bet he was crazy about the last nanny too and you know how that ended," Cristiana bitterly grumbles.

Linda scowls, "That was not the same. That girl came here with her sight set on Cole. She never wanted to take care of Liam. She didn't care about anything other than being with a rich man. Don't compare yourself to her."