Devyn

I opened my eyes and ran downstairs on the first day of school. I was so excited. I loved to learn new things unlike my twin sister and older brother. My sister Delia loves anything pink and girly. She started wearing makeup when she was five because she thought people would like her better. My brother Kalum's life has been football and only football since he opened his eyes for the first time.

When I got downstairs I ran to the kitchen as fast as my little legs could take me. Kalum and Delia were already stuffing their mouths with my mom's famous pancakes. It's tradition to make pancakes on the first day of school. This year Delia and I are starting second grade and Kalum is starting 4th.

"Good morning, honey," my mom said as she lifted me into a bear hug. when she set me down I ran towards the table and sat in my chair as I waited for mommy to get my food. "Hey, that's my seat butthead!" Kalum screamed into my ear as I jumped halfway to heaven in my seat. "No! It's always been my seat fartface!" I yelled back at him. "Language, you two," my dad said as he walked into the kitchen and gave my mom a kiss on the forehead. "Kalum just find a new seat," mom said tiredly, "or just go up to your room and start getting ready."

After I enjoyed my amazingly perfect pancakes I ran upstairs and put on my favorite summer dress. I was looking at my dress in the mirror when Delia walked in. "Your dress looks like someone puked on you," she said as she stole my favorite pair of sandals. "Well you look like a knock-off Barbie doll," I fired back. She was wearing a light pink fitted dress with a dark pink belt around her waist and MY wedge sandals around her feet. Her long perfectly curled blonde hair (no doubt done by mom because she certainly doesn't have that much coordination)was pulled behind her ears and displayed down the front of her chest. "Humph!" she groaned as she stormed out of my door and downstairs to probably go tattle on me.

"Kalum, Devyn let's go!" dad yelled from the bottom of the stairs. I ran down the stairs with my Backpack on my back, Scooby-Doo sweatshirt around my waist and my teal blue brush quickly running through my hair. Kalum came pushing past me and a I almost tripped down the last three steps. "Butthead!" I yelled at the back of his head. "Fartface!" he threw back at me as dad gave us both the "Stop acting like five year old's and start behaving" look. I purposely bumped into his shoulder as I grabbed my lunch and headed out to the car. Delia was already in the backseat with her head tilted towards the window as to show me she's ignoring me. Kalum literally jumped in the car a few seconds after I sat down.

"You guys excited?" mom asks as she turns off our street and starts heading towards Lincolnville Elementary School. "Ew! Why would I be excited to learn about stupid crap again?" Delia states as mom glares at her through the rear-view mirror. "I'm just excited to see Ayden again," Kalum says as blankly as possible. "I'm excited!" I pipe up from the back seat. "That's my girl," mom says as my siblings laugh at me. Mom drops us off at the main entrance and kisses each one of us goodbye. Kalum dodges her kiss though because according to him once you get into fourth grade its embarrassing for your mom to be kissing you. I can tell by the look on mom's face though that it hurts her that Kalum doesn't want her kisses like he used to. "I will never ever stop wanting your kisses mommy!" I say to her as she wraps me into a big hug and smiles into my dark brown hair. "Have a good day girls," she says to Delia and I as we walk through the big doors.

"Alright everyone, it's recess time!" Mrs. Jordan says and I can hear everyone cheering. I walked outside last because I already felt out of place at school. A bunch of kids went up to Delia and asked to be her friend, but nobody asked me that. I already knew I was going to have no friends. Nobody in my class liked learning or watching Scooby-Doo like I did. I spotted an empty swing on the swing set and sulkily walked towards it. I was a few feet away from it when a boy from a different class ran past me and jumped onto the swing I wanted. "Hey, I wanted that swing," I said to the boy as he stared at me blankly. "Hey!" I said while pointing at him, "I'm talking to you." He laughed and said, "Well too bad loser!" I felt my eyes starting to water and a single tear rolled down my cheek. As soon as it fell it was wiped away.

The boy from the swing was standing face to face with me me as he wiped away my tear. His hand stayed on my cheek a second longer, then he pulled it away. "I'm sorry I made you cry," he said in the softest tone. "My name's Kayde in case you were wondering," he said as he averted his eyes away from me and to the ground. He had the most beautiful caramel eyes with emerald specs in them. It was almost as if were tiny little gems floating in a river of gold. I was sad when I couldn't see them anymore. "I'm Devyn," I said quiet enough that only he could hear me. His captivating eyes looked up at me again and I found myself staring at him, at his perfectly messy charcoal hair, his smooth lips, his tanned skin, his small but already muscular body. He was what any seven year-old would picture when they were dreaming about prince charming. He was perfect.

"Do you want the swing?" Kayde asked me as I jumped out of my trance. "Thanks," I said softly as I walked over and sat in the swing Kayde was just sitting in moments earlier. For the rest of recess we ran around the playground, but always ended up back at our swing. I asked him if he liked learning but he said no. "We can still be friends though right?" I asked him as I started to become sad at the thought of never seeing is beautiful eyes again. "Of course we can!" he exclaimed as Mrs. Jordan blew the whistle signaling that recess was over. At the end of the day I walked to the car thinking about seeing my best friend again tomorrow.