Power

Astra

As I walked through the forest, I realized I didn't really have a place to stay. I couldn't go back home, because I would just be reminded of my misery. I decided I'd just stay in the forest. I always liked the place anyway.

I ended up taking the whole day to make a clay house out of mud. I'd seen other homes styled this way, so I tried to make it similar. It was small but usable. I sighed and sat under it. I then let sleep drift me away.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It's been 2 weeks since I killed father. I feel no remorse, but I hate this feeling it left behind. I felt alone...sure, I was never happy with father, but I was never alone. I always had him in the house. I am so alone and hurt.

I just want someone to come and ask me if I'm alright or at least hold me when I break. I broke a long time ago and I don't think I can put myself back together this time. It hurts so so so much.

Is that too much to ask for?

As I wallow in my self-pity, I start to realize that I CAN be someone. I CAN be Astra. It's ok to be alone. I mean...sure it'll hurt, but life isn't fair. I just have to live with it and move on. I have to make the best of it. I mean, what the hell can I do about it? Stay stuck in the past? Fuck no. I am finally done being a lap dog. I am Astra and I will rise.

I will rise alone.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It's now been 3 months of living in the forest. I am not happy necessarily, but I am living peacefully. That is all I can ask for right now. I take a deep breath and wrap my sweater around me. It is now winter and snowing. Hard. A blizzard took place yesterday, so not only am I freezing, but I am a total mess. Yes, even though I am homeless, I care about looks...What? I like to dress up.

As I watch my breath freeze in the air, I tie my long, dark brown hair with some old plant stems. Surprisingly, it works well. I know I don't look special with my brown eyes and white skin, but I'm not complaining. I'm not tan, but I am not pale. I'm sort of in the middle. 

I stand up and all thoughts leave my head as I hear rustling in the bushes. I live so far down in the forest that not even animals come here. I can already tell something is wrong. I slowly walk out of my house and all slowly. I try to hear anything else except the snow crunching under my boots. I snap my head toward the river when hear trees move again in the opposite direction. But again, all I can hear are the snow and water rushing. I start to panic. 

I feel a tap on my shoulder and flinch. I slowly turn my head behind me while swallowing. Once I am fully turned around I see a tall lady who looks like she is in her 30's. She has dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes. My eyes widen when I see blood on her, "Hi!" she says in an excited voice. I don't respond obviously because she is a stranger. When she notices how petrified I am, she backs up. "I am so so so sorry! I promise I am not here to hurt you. Actually, I've been looking for you! Uhmmm I'm sort of meant to bring you somewhere. I have been waiting 16 years for this moment soooo I'm really excited" As she rambles on about stuff, all I can think of is 'bring me somewhere' ? Will she take me out of my misery?  

I decide not to start a fight because of how nice she seems. She honestly seems like she has good intentions. Still, I don't trust her. "Oh! I'm Avery. Just to make sure, you're Astra, right? Tillie's daughter? Man, she was a great woman".  I nod slowly wondering how she knows about me.  "Well, we used to be good friends. She was like my older sister. I promised her to bring you to my...home..ish...and explain about your life to you I guess?" I am surprised about how confused Avery seems. She obviously has a motive but is confused about how to explain it. 

Well, everyone knows not to follow a stranger you find in the woods that claim to know about your life. Only stupid book characters do that. I start to back away terrified of how much she may know about me. Just as I am about to run she yells. "I KNOW THE TRUTH BEHIND YOU AND YOUR MOTHERS DEATH. I WANT TO HELP YOU. THAT'S IT". That get's my attention. 

"You know about what happened that night? And more about me?" my voice is hoarse from not speaking for months and the cold without proper materials. I quickly clear it when she looks at me in shock. She probably didn't expect me to talk. 

"Uhm yeah, I do. All I want to do is help you and keep my promise. Please come with me? WAIT I HAVE SOMETHING". I look at her questioningly as she digs through the pocket of her blue cloak. She pulls out a crescent moon necklace. The necklace my mother only gave to people she cared deeply about. Now I know I have to go. I never got the necklace because of how young I was. She always said I would get it when I was older, but it never happened. 

I walk towards her still wary of the situation. She sighs and then walks away motioning for me to follow. Damn. This is going to be a long day.