4. Legends in the Making

It takes strategy and skill to win the Legendary Championship, the challenge that only the greatest heroes are able to take on. It takes a professional to simply make it through the first battle within the gleaming halls of the Legendary Arena, never mind reach the finals. Many Skylanders enter; only one remains victorious. It was a big celebration which occurred at the end of term at Skylanders Academy; pupils and fans always filled the stadiums, flooding each battle with chants and claps.

"STUMP SMASH!!" Cried one young voice, his eyes fixed on his beloved champion. It was the semi-finals and – to most's surprise – Stump Smash had made it all the way through. In usual circumstances, it was newer skylanders who participated in such events as these; only a handful of more experienced figures within the elite team ever attempted to challenge the youthful new recruits. Stump Smash knew that he wasn't the favourite to win this particular match, his opponent being a new whippersnapper: Jolly Dodger, a super-flexible sailor of Skylands' seas. Not only would he be a tough opponent to beat, but Stump Smash knew nothing of his weaknesses. However, he understood that landing any hit on the purple-haired menace would be a step in the right direction.

He looked his opponent dead in the eyes, golden spikes beginning to emerge from his fists. Stump Smash had never seen anyone quite like Jolly Dodger; violet hair covered his slim body, waving gently in the wind. He had two awfully thin arms which stretched from his body, one of which wielded a dreadful double-sided blade, the other clutching onto an amulet of some description in his fist. Some said that Jolly Dodger was from a land far from Skylands, whereas some said that he was from of origin in the Cloudbreak Islands. Whatever he was, he had ears like that of a fox and the smirking smile of arrogance; Stump Smash took an immediate disliking to him. He clobbered his fists against each other, making an unearthly echo throughout the Arena.

"Alright, alright; let's get this started, shall we?" Brock – the emerald skinned goliath drow – announced, causing the crowd to go quiet with anticipation. "As always, anything goes, folks; let the battle begin!" Without a moment to lose, Jolly Dodger leaped from his spot and began darting towards Stump Smash, who remained still.

"JOLLY DODGER, WE LOVE YOU!" Cried another audience participant, this time coming from the elderly voice of a 200-year-old mabu, known as 'The Water Dragon', despite no longer residing within the disguise which gave him such a title.

"GO GET HIM, JOLLY!" Exclaimed a further observer, an overenthusiastic scientist who went by the name Dr. Krankcase. A fitting name, one might say, for such a talented – yet insane – inventor. Having once dedicating himself to the pursuits of evil, Dr. Krankcase found a new focus within Skylanders Academy where he attempted to teach numerous things to his pupils. One particular lesson – referred to as 'The Goo Incident – the doctor was attempting to help his students learn the wonders of chemistry, but eventually caused horrendous damage to the premises instead. In his defence, he had no intention of damaging the Academy, but did find the event rather...humorous. One of his favourite students had been a young Jolly Dodger; he was very aware that his abilities could take him far, whether that be in good or evil. Known as Eggwit during his Academy days, Jolly Dodger had proven himself to be both daring and dangerous, a combination that suited the Doctor a great deal. Had he not changed his allegiances a few years prior, he may have been tempted to recruit such a fine soldier to the Doom Raiders.

This, of course, was not known to Stump Smash, who was watching meticulously as his opponent drew nearer and nearer. 'I've crushed hundreds of trolls and thousands of chompies.' He thought to himself, watching as Jolly began to swing his blade. 'I've single-handedly mashed a battalion of one-hundred greebles.' As the blade began to swing in his direction, Stump Smash allowed a spiked acorn to shoot from his mouth to one side, catching Jolly's glance. At once, Stump Smash swung one of his mallet-shaped fists against Jolly's torso, causing him to roll backwards. "Dodge this, lavender!" He shouted as he launched a boulder-like spiked nut in Jolly's direction. He watched as the purple creature's sapphire eyes widened. However – much to Stump's surprise – the battle was not done. Within moments of the attack's impact, Jolly Dodger's entire body seemed to curve, allowing the nut to continue its voyage undisturbed.

"How was that?" Jolly Dodger asked, a smug smile emerging upon his face. Stump Smash wished to look in awe at such a stunt but did not want to let his place at the top be at question. Mouth wide open, he began to charge at Jolly, bashing his mallets against the ground as he did so.

"YOU CAN DO THIS, JOLLY!" Called Krankcase from the audience. Nodding, Jolly began to charge towards Stump Smash intently. Hence, it wasn't long until they collided, both sending attacks towards each other. As Stump threw his weight at his adversary, Jolly sharpened his blade upon Stump Smash's tough bark. However, within moments the victor emerged from this circle of destruction.

"Did you see that, ladies and gentlemen?" Brock roared, leaping down and grabbing Stump Smash by the arm. The tree stump looked down to his left at Jolly Dodger, who was gasping for breath on the floor. He had been no match for the powerful sting of Stump's thorns, much to his disappointed. "The winner, and the first Skylander through to the final is..." Brock cried out, "STUMP SMASH!" Brock climbed back upon his podium and began to announce the next battle. Stump Smash paced over to Jolly Dodger.

"Are you okay?" He queried, reaching out a hand, "Let me help yo-"

"No," Jolly spat back, avoiding eye contact, "I can get up myself, thank you." He stood up and stomped away, removing thorns from his coat of fur as he did so.

"Whatever." Stump Smash concluded, resentment in his tone. He won fair and square, so he had nothing to be shameful of; if Jolly couldn't accept his loss, it wasn't his fault. Looking out to the crowd, Stump bowed before returning to the Arena Barracks, ready to secure his victory.