chapter 1-rewritten

When you are expected to do the same things everyday life turns in a ongoing loop where nothing new ever happens.

That predictability however was not planned for today, and Mattia would be thrown into an entirely different loop that would turn out to be the safe haven she needed.

At six o'clock she was expected to wake up and have the house presentable for her parents when they made their was down stairs, breakfast was also a requirement for her to accomplish. To get everything ready with time to spare someone would normally have to wake up around five-thirty, but Mattia had gotten into the habit for so long she was able to sleep longer, get everything made and cleaned before making her way back to her room to get ready for school which started at seven-thirty.

Contact with her parents was kept to a minimal in the mornings and afternoon due to school but arriving home she could expect them to always be together spending time on the couch or in their room. It seemed that they did nothing all day but still had the money to life the way they did.

Since neither of them had jobs as far as Mattia was concerned you would think their supply of cash would eventually run out yet they still could pay for their nice outfits, alcohol, and fancy date nights. Even with this wealth no amount of money was ever spared on Mattia.

The day had gone by like it usually had, her classes had finished for the day and the bus ride home was as boring as it ever was, the gossip of others in her grade about who did what and where, and the middle schoolers in the front arguing about relationships that would inevitably end in a week.

She was dropped off at her stop with a boy in the grade above her, he was nice and kept mostly to himself, a few years back they had adapted the habit to awkwardly smile at each other before going their separate ways. That small point of contact with someone else was enough to satisfy her social appetite and she never wished for any long term- out side of school friends.

When she made it into her house, her parents were curled up on the couch watching a movie that looked and sounded like it wouldn't be appropriate for anyone.

Mattia dropped her bag off at her room before tying her hair up and getting started on cleaning the mess her parents made in the few hours she was gone along with setting aside ingredients for dinner. Tonight she would be serving each of them their own salads customized to each of their specific tastes, different dressings, and topping would be on each salad and they would hopefully enjoy her effort enough not to complain.

She finished with her creations after adding in her own enjoyment to their food/drinks that they wouldn't know about, she reasoned with herself that it was the least they deserved and that they wouldn't even taste anything- would even know anything was wrong- so it was okay.

She carried their salads to them along with their contaminated drinks before sitting down with her own plate of food and glass of water

As the sipped their wine and smiled at each other she was also smiling to herself, she really hoped they liked the red wine that she put her hands in.

All too soon her victory was cut short when her fathers face turned into one of absolute disgust, Mattia felt her stomach drop as her father spit out a tomato into his napkin.

"Matty, dear would you like to explain to me what I am seeing in my food?" he spoke calmly and without looking at her.

"It's a tomato" she had put her fork down and stared at her food

"That's right, and what is something that I do not like with my food?"

"Tomatoes."

He smiled at her, "correct again, now what I don't understand is that if you are smart enough to answer those questions why weren't you smart enough to know not to put in there."

When she didn't speak up her father slammed his fist on the table, "I'm expecting an answer, Matty, I know you can do it." he 'encouraged'

"Im truly sorry, I didn't realize it was put in there, it wont happen again. Let me make you another."

At this point her mother decided it was time to step in, "we ask you to make our meals because you know how to cater to our needs and our preferences, you should at least know how to make a dish without the things we dislike. If you don't what's the purpose of keeping you."

what is the reason they haven't given me up, Mattia wondered, if they didn't want a kid this bad why keep her?

"Im sorry mom, I will see that it never happens again, you have my word."

Her father sighed, "Unfortunately your 'word' isn't enough. You are to have no food until you learn how to make ours correctly. Now you might go days or weeks without it but this punishment is for your own good and you decide for howling it lasts. You understand that, right Mattia."

She nodded in understanding, yeah right only when you say the food ive been making for years tastes good will this punishment end, its not up to me its up to you.

"Words darling. You know how I feel about your silence." Her father spoke

"Yes father."

"Much better, now take my plate and make me a new one, as well as another for you mom we don't want any more mistakes." He smiled as he handed her his plate with the barely eaten food, she also cleared her plate and went to take her moms also.

"Thank you my dear." Her mother sneered, "I know you'll do better next time."

After that incident the rest of the night ran rather smoothly, and the night brought its own set of problems. It was when her parents drank the most and got drunk rather quickly, her mother would always end up passing out but her father was more active when his wife wasn't awake.

"I know you didn't mean messing up our food like that baby, and you know I hate punishing you its just if we don't how will you learn?"

It wasn't rare that he came into her room but mostly he would just throw her around a few times before stumbling out to sleep like his wife, but nights where she make mistakes he liked to give her a private lesson.

"I want to show you other things I like, and since your mom is fast asleep remember my dislike for your silence, my little girl."

In the morning he was gone but every essence of her room screamed that he was there. She couldn't do anything though except get up and continue her morning routine.

When she waited at the bus stop, she could feel the stare of the boy who lived near her, he never said anything but just looked at her unkept appearance and sunken in face. When ever she showed up like this he never mentioned it and neither did anyone else, they just looked.

When she got to school people didn't avoid her or talk about her they just ignored her, there was no bullies except the occasional comments from Sarah and her friends.

She sat down at her desk, minded her business, and went through classes like nothing had happened the night before.

She thought she knew what would come next, arriving home to her parents, making dinner, and cleaning but what shocked her was her name being called over the speaker asking for her in the office.

What was about to happen now?